Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ShopNotes has been discontinued.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Believe it or not, but Shop Notes does have advertising in their magazine. Each issue seems to have a late/great/neat tool that makes your woodshop life much easier, and they do print the manufacturers name and photo of the tool. I do not suscribe, but check the local BN in case there is an interesting article or 2 in the current issue.
    I also try to find a great UK mag, Furniture and Cabinetmaking, which has some neat articles, projects and features not found in the US based publications. Hit or miss finding one, but worth the $9-10 price.
    Are you saying that you think they are receiving money from these manufactures? Or are you saying that they are giving free advertising? You could say the same thing about SMC, every time someone gives a positive review of some tool, or answers a question about one. I just think it is quite a stretch to say it is advertising by simply mentioning a name and publishing a picture.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm a charter subscriber for ShopNotes, and have every issue of Woodsmith. Lately, I've noticed both magazines featuring more and more Rockler stuff. As for free issue, they produce a special issue for the "teaser." Never known anyone not to get theirs. I remember when August Home trashed Workbench for something else, which probably failed. I know I didn't renew. As for payment for tips, I've hit them all (FWW, AWW, ShopNotes, Woodsmith, and of course the "Top Tip" in Wood.))

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    As for free issue, they produce a special issue for the "teaser."
    The free (or more properly "trial") issue isn't a real one!? That seems rather counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Maybe it is my fault, I have received over $1300, 2 impact drivers and a Kerg jig from them for tips.

I will sure hate to see them go if this is indeed a fact.
    I really like it and it is one that I read cover to cover and keep all of them.
    Enough of your greed. Send the money back.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I just got issue #138.
    So did I. Really like the sawhorse idea.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

As of this morning, the website was still selling subscriptions. August Home Publishing to my knowledge has a good reputation. With Woodsmith Shop on PBS, and their published magazines, I can't imagine they'd do anything to tarnish their reputation.

I sent an email to the publisher asking if there is a plan to discontinue publishing ShopNotes. I will respond to this thread once they answer my email.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-27-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I contacted Shopnotes. Their reply:

"Hi Robin,
    Thank you for writing. Yes, it is sad, but true. We confirmed it late yesterday that issue #138 (Dec/14) will be the last published issue. It is an unfortunate business reality. We are hoping most readers will continue on with the long running Woodsmith magazine. We don't have the final details on how we will be handling remaining subscribers, but if you are ok with transferring your remaining issues over to Woodsmith I'd be happy to facilitate this for you. Just let me know.
    Best Regards,
    XXXX, Manager
    August Home Customer Service"
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

This morning I got a reply to my email from the Customer Service Manager at August Home:

Hi Ken,

Thank you for writing. Yes, unfortunately it is true. It is a business reality that we must cease publishing ShopNotes magazine. We got confirmation late yesterday from our publisher that the Dec issue #138 will be the last issue published. Our publisher is still working on the details regarding the end of ShopNotes and how it affects current subscribers. Obviously we hope that ShopNotes subscribers will want to continue with Woodsmith magazine, 35 yrs young and going strong. We plan to increase page count with the Feb/Mar issue of Woodsmith to make it an even better magazine.

Best Regards,
    Jennie Enos, Manager
    August Home Customer Service

So it turns out Edward was right about ShopNotes ceasing publication. ShopNotes #138 is the last issue that will be published.

On the other hand, Edward is wrong stating greed wins out. Profit isn't a profane word but a business reality. If a product doesn't make a profit, companies will stop manufacturing that product. To continue to producing a product that costs more to produce than the revenue it generates could cause the entire company to go bankrupt. Bankrupt companies don't support any workers.

Today's world of the internet and television makes it much more difficult for publishing companies to be profitable. Look at the number of people who state they gave up magazine subscriptions because they have access to woodworking blogs or websites like SMC and other websites. Personally I prefer printed media. I can read it in the comfort of my recliner or in my bed at night before I go to sleep and I can place it on the work bench by me for quick reference as I am trying to duplicate the process.

Magazines aren't the only publishing products feeling the competition. I watch as our local newspaper established in 1892, struggles to keep publishing. Most media, internet, television, even the Weather Channel concentrate on the two coasts. The news reported is more concentrated about the East coast and West Coast. Most of that news has little effect on me personally. The same news medias obsess and rant over a few major topics and don't report others. It is impossible to get any unbiased political stories from any of the major news networks or television networks. They all have an agenda and a bias. Few if any stories are reported with just the facts but rather arrogantly edited so the unintelligent masses might understand. I feel our local newspaper does a better job reporting news that is relevant to our community and on the national level is often more accurate because they don't have to report with inaccuracies to try to beat the other television or internet medias on the air or on line with the story.

Profit isn't greed. A company that isn't profitable goes out of business and supports nobody.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-28-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I sent a comment at the Shopnotes website to transfer my remaining issues to Woodsmith.
    They ask for a 10 digit account number, but there are only 9.
    We shall see what happens.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hmm, I subscribe to both so I wonder what will come of that? To bad I like them both but sadly the internet is flat out killing print publications. I just wish more of them jumped on a web based product sooner as they could carry on with that. Sadly many are behind the curve on that.

I would bet they will send notice in the mail that it will automatic transfer unless there is an objection.

That sucks. One of the few left I will pay for. Thanks for the memories.

Just my luck. I sent them money for a two year subscription just two weeks ago. I'll have to call them to see if I can obtain a refund.

I can confirm that it was a business decision to shut the magazine down...Woodsmith will continue on though. The reason I know this is that I had just renewed my subscription a week ago and after reading this column, I phoned the subscription line and explained that I had heard this rumor. The lady confirmed it as true and mentioned that they had only just learned yesterday of the decision. She spoke with her supervisor about a refund and said that a refund to my credit card will be processed today.

Actually, I think it is a good idea to roll all the content into a single magazine. In the past I didn't want to subscribe to BOTH, but also didn't want to pick JUST ONE. So I defaulted to neither.

Now I assume that the best content will make it into the magazine, whether it is jig or shop-built machine or fine woodworking project.

So this move actually increases the chances of getting me as a subscriber.