Thread: Reeves Drives on used lathes

Reeves Drives on used lathes

I've been checking out CL lately looking for a lathe with at least a 12" swing. Lately there have been quote a few Delta 46-700 series lathes showing up in the $150 - $250 range. Every time I do web search on those models the Reeves Drive issue always comes up, seems like you're looking at nothing but trouble, at least from what I've seen with the Delta. Is there such a thing as a reliable Reeves Drive, I seem to see comments regarding Jet Lathes as well. Just wondering, some of you must have some lathes with that speed control system that work well. Thanks

Not all Reeves drives are created equal. The Reeves drive on my three Powermatic 90's are very reliable. Many of the older lathes like mine came out of schools and have three phase motors that require a VFD to operate on household current. A Reeves drive with a VFD is a very good combination because you can optimize the mechanical advantage of the pulleys and manage the speed of the motor at the same time.

A Reeves drive is only as good as the components that are used to make it. The older lathes that were often used in school shops had very good, machined cast iron pulleys. Many of the newer, light to medium duty lathes built since the late 1980's use cheaper pulleys made from lightweight metals that are not nearly as durable as the older machines. The Delta 46-700 that I bought new in about 1992 had many features that I really liked, but the Reeves drive was quite poor. I re-built the motor end sheave three times during the 12 years I used that lathe and it needed it again when I finally got rid of it. It seems to me that the parts to re-build the drive only cost about $35 the first time but were closer to $90 the third time. They were also back ordered for about a month and a half the last time I bought them, and since the lathe has been out of production for quite a few years now I would imagine that availability might be a real issue.

Take care
    Bob

Particularly on the cheaper units, you have to be careful to maintain the lube on the splined shaft of the pulley assembly. If they seize or stick on the shaft, the pulleys can shatter as you try to change the speed (DAMHIKT). Steel pulleys are stronger and better able to stand the stress, but you should still lube the shaft. Other than that, the only complaint I've had about my Delta is that the drive is noisy as heck.

Steve