Thread: router questions, with a router tabler question

router questions, with a router tabler question

I have 2 working routers a porter cable and a craftsman, I also have a router table that goes with the craftsman router (currently used as chop saw base, but I bought a RAS to replace this setup), okay I have never used the porter cable, bought at garage sale for like 5$. I think that the craftsman has better height adjustment, which one would be better set up as router table? what are the pros and cons, I would plan on using one in table all the time and one for other uses.

I also have a ryobi and it seems the height adjuster is broke and it is jammed I will attach pictures, is this ruined? is there some use for it? is it worth fixing/easy to fix?

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would use the one with the most HP.

If you like using the Craftsman by hand, the PC will do fine in the table. You have a PC 690 which is an extremely common router and a proven performer. I have a 690 which is used in a table and it works just fine.

The Ryobi, I have no idea. Never owned one.

PC 690 is a great table router. I built a whole raised panel kitchen with one a few years back. Keep the keyways clean and lubed and it adjusts just fine.

Rick P

TThanks for the suggestions, I will have to try out the Porter-Cable and see which I like better.

Any ideas on ryobi?

The PC 690 is a proven tool, esp. the older made-in-the-U-S-of-A units. Mine just keeps on going.

Since the PC was a garage sale special, I would pull the brushes and check for wear and blow out the "innards" with compressed air. 'Ya nevva' know how much use and abuse it has seen and a bit a preventive maintenance goes a long way.

Even if your router table has dust collection attached, I would suggest blowing out the router when the projected is completed. Same holds for other portable tools. I found that it improves and extends the useful life of the tool, despite what my tool repair center says.

As an aside, at one time PC made a 3/8" collet for its routers. Very handy accessory, especially for those of us use who utilize end mills for woodworking applications.

The one with the highest HP should be the one you put in your router table. Otherwise it will be an exercise in frustration...and with a 1-1/2 HP router it would be for sure!