Thread: Abusing a TS blade ?

Abusing a TS blade ?

I just purchased my first pair of dedicated use TS blades, two Freuds a glue line rip and an 80 tooth ATB crosscut. Personally, I don't have a problem switching out blades when necessary.

I just now thought about a friend who I am helping get started in wood working and who frequently uses my shop. He is not the most careful of people. How concerned do I need to be when he starts ripping with the crosscut blade. It seems like it would be worse on his wood than my blade, but I also don't want to have to be sharpening three times as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    I just now thought about a friend who I am helping get started in wood working and who frequently uses my shop. He is not the most careful of people. How concerned do I need to be when he starts ripping with the crosscut blade.
    Tom;
    If he is not the most careful person in the world I'd be more concerned about him hurting himself, friend or not by letting him use your tools you are assuming some liability.

imho

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Tom;
    If he is not the most careful person in the world I'd be more concerned about him hurting himself, friend or not by letting him use your tools you are assuming some liability.

imho
    You are very correct. I am careful by nature and watching this guy scares me sometimes. I have placed all of the blade guards back on anything that I had previously removed guards from, still he worries me.

Blog Entries

Ripping with a crosscut blade!

You most likely won't do the blade any harm using the rip blade to cross cut or the crosscut blade to rip. You will get rough cuts crosscutting with the rip blade and the rip cuts will be very slow witht he crosscut blade and you might get some burning which woul dnot be good for your new blade.

As far as your friend scaring you when he works, you need to say something about safety and his habits before he gets hurt. Better for him to have hurt feelings than to get cut or worse. Think how will you feel if he cuts off a finger and you didn't say anything, that thought should give you the courage to say something now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had a similar situation with as friend of mine except he had some experience. I finally had to just say my tools my rules. we're still friends he just doesn't use the shop anymore.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution