Thread: Clock Making - Getting Started - Recommendations for Books & Supplies

Clock Making - Getting Started - Recommendations for Books & Supplies

I am thinking about trying to build a basic wall clock - maybe shaker or mission style.

Any recommendations for good books to get started - good solid basics and plans/designs?

What about supplies - where do you clock makers get your movements, faces and glass?

What movements are best - quartz or windup?

I read somewhere that it is hard to get a good movement today - the quality just is not there - is that true?

thanks

Ken,

If you don't get any replies, try sending a PM to member Bernie Weishapl. He is a turner here at SMC but he also has had a clock repair shop for years. He might be a good source of information.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

There is a free set of plans online for a Shaker wall clock by Chris Becksvoort (sp).

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...ker-wall-clock

He gives some great insight into various movements and design elements as well as some of his techniques.

My wife and I have made 6 or 7 1840 Shaker wall clocks. I will not put an electric movement in this type of clock. We have purchased all of the mechanical movements from Klock Kit. IIRC they are abound $130 each. They have a pendulum and I think a 5'' swing. The swing is measured from all the way form one side to the other not center to outside. They sell the paper dial faces and can be pre-punched to accommodate the winding mechanism and the dial. We copied the original using resume paper and they look great.
    We made them from cherry and did a cherry panel insert in the lower door.
    We used the plans from Norm Abram's book but the mortise and tendons were too confusing so we adapted and no loss in appearance or strength.
    There are two more almost cut out awaiting our attention and that will be it. I never want to look another clock in the face, pun intended.

Clock movement info for you

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Frohnert View Post
    I am thinking about trying to build a basic wall clock - maybe shaker or mission style.

Any recommendations for good books to get started - good solid basics and plans/designs?

What about supplies - where do you clock makers get your movements, faces and glass?

What movements are best - quartz or windup?

I read somewhere that it is hard to get a good movement today - the quality just is not there - is that true?

thanks

You also have the option of doing an all wood movement. I've made a few, it's fun. Here are a few good sites with plans for sale:

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/

There are still fantastic, real, high quality clock movements made today, mostly German made. There is a great website that has all the goodies for clock movements:

http://www.klockit.com/

Hope that helps.

Here is a clock I made a few years ago
    2012.3.5 1.jpg

+1 on Klockit as a source for building clocks. I've built several (photo is Kensington Regulator I built) from plans and the people at Klockit have been helpful. The plans aren't quite like woodworkers plans, but you can figure it out. I'm in the process of building another clock right now. I usually get the plans and choose the type of wood I want. Some people don't like hearing chimes all the time so if you build on that does, I break into the line to the speaker and add an On/Off button, so whoever I've given the clock I've made (family) they can turn it on or off at will.

20140110_081355.jpg
    Last edited by Don Morris; 10-27-2014 at 7:04 AM.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Nice work Don. Looks like Klockit is the place to get supplies.

I agree with everyone about mechanical movements from Klockit. I think Hermle movements are the best around. I have 7 and have had no problems with them in 20+ years of use. Another source I use is Timesavers.
    - Mike

Thanks for the info Mike!

Phil Lowe did an article on a Shaker clock many years ago (FWW #101 - 1993 . There was a nice simple wall clock in Woodworker's Journal (Irish Parlor Clock) many moons ago too (on my list). Both are nice clocks. Mechanical movements are great, but they are pretty expensive. Might look at antique shops, etc. for an old clock you can rescue a works from. Some of those are junk, so be careful. A rebuild can cost as much as new works. I had one of mine rebuilt - cost more than it was worth, but it was sentimental.

Just found this one:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=h_s...0clock&f=false

Tony
    Tony