Thread: jet 1632 noise

jet 1632evs--noise

how much noise does it make---i have a slight rattle without anything chucked---when wood chucked it makes a clicking sound,which increases as the speed is advanced----possible a bad bearing---lathe is new --no use---tks,joe

jet 1632 noise

how noisy are they--mine is new--when i chuck up a piece of wood i hear a tapping or clicking sound---possible a bad bearing---tks,joe
    Last edited by joe zarnitz; 07-13-2005 at 5:07 PM. Reason: double post -delete

I get a clickling noise from by Vicmark chuck. Found out that it is the little "buttons" where the allen wrench goes in. If I tighten both it sometimes goes away or is reduced.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

This is going to sound stupid-----the hole in the pully for the allen set---- holds enough air to cause a clicking sound---air gets compressed in the hole and the belt passing over it causes the click. That is the story a tech just told me---is it true??? ---heck it sounded possible.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I had the same fear with my Craftsman...but later figured out that it was the four-jaw chuck clicking. It's quiet now that the chuck ain't there.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have a Jet 1442 and it is not noisy at all. In fact, it runs pretty quietly.

I have seen people use the 16" Jet at demonstrations and they were not noisy either.

Depending on your definition of noisy, I would say something's not right.

I've had my 1632 for over a year and have not experienced the kind of noise you describe (except when I left the knock-out bar in the headstock - but you haven't done that, have you). I'd have it checked out.

I've left the knockout bar in before and it made that sound...My HF lathe makes so many different noises that if all of a sudden it was quiet I would really be worried!