Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone make their own bandsaw guides from wood?

I have been using wood guides in my Delta/Rockwell 14" saw for at least 15 years. Started right after ruining a new blade with the original steel blocks. Cool blocks had come out recently, and I was going to get some, but needed the saw, so I made some out of some oily tropical wood. Can't remember what, but I made several sets, which I have not used up yet.

On smaller blades, up to 1/4" or so, I just bury the blade in the guide, and don't worry about it. Every once in a while I remove them and square them up again with a sander, rotate them 1/4 turn to avoid the set screw marks and put them back in. The set screws make dents I the wood, so they are difficult to adjust after shortening them a bit.

Rick P

I've used hardwood soaked in mineral oil. Works great.
    The advantage of this is you can bury the blade in them. Very helpful when re-sawing.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Thomas, how wide is that blade, and did you use your bandsaw to make the groove?
    Jim
    This is Sam Blasco designed, I only fallowed the post, works very well with small blades. Have not used it during re-sawing wide panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Jim
    This is Sam Blasco designed, I only fallowed the post, works very well with small blades. Have not used it during re-sawing wide panels.
    Thanks for the link, I will make one for small blades. I think I can use a fostner bit to make a recess to fit a block of wood over on the existing guide and the clamping action should hold them on the guide.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have been using wood guides in my Delta/Rockwell 14" saw for at least 15 years. Started right after ruining a new blade with the original steel blocks. Cool blocks had come out recently, and I was going to get some, but needed the saw, so I made some out of some oily tropical wood. Can't remember what, but I made several sets, which I have not used up yet.

On smaller blades, up to 1/4" or so, I just bury the blade in the guide, and don't worry about it. Every once in a while I remove them and square them up again with a sander, rotate them 1/4 turn to avoid the set screw marks and put them back in. The set screws make dents I the wood, so they are difficult to adjust after shortening them a bit.

Rick P
    If you want to avoid the set screw marks, you could make 'em a bit smaller and slip a bit of hard metal between the wooden guide and the set screw. Something like a worn hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If you want to avoid the set screw marks, you could make 'em a bit smaller and slip a bit of hard metal between the wooden guide and the set screw. Something like a worn hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off?
    I find a steel washer where the I.D. is smaller than the point of the set screw and the O.D. is small enough to fit into the holder. Works great.

Great ideas.

Rick P

I used to make these guide holders for the original USA MiniMax Distributors. I probably have about a dozen left. They will fit any euro guide band saw. I made them for using small blades. When setting them you can run them close to the blade tips without worrying about dulling the blade. The actual guide can be anything 1/2" dia. McMaster-carr sells all kinds of 1/2" dia. stock or you can use wood. 12mm cool blocks work fine too.

Drop me a PM for more info.

Louis Iturra,Who has a vast knowledge of all things band saw speaks of Lignum vitae,Its used for making ship bearings very hard and oily.Easily purchased..