Thread: Trout net Project

Trout net Project

I'm making a new trout net. I ripped three strips of ash, steamed with my wallpaper steamer and bent around a jig. A guy from Wisconsin who makes beautiful nets says he glues up with urethane. So far so good. He said he finishes with a gun stock oil...many coats. Waterproofs and looks great. Any ideas what oil he's talking about? Thanks

He's probably using Birchwood Tru-Oil. I have a friend who makes custom guitars and Tru-Oil is what he uses for a finish.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The trout nets I've made were finished with high quality spar varnish. Among the best are Epifanes, Pettit Captains, and Interlux Schooner. Spar varnish from big box stores is an order of magnitude less durable. If you don't have marine chandleries where you live, try on line at www.defender.com . Much better prices than most sources.

The oil is almost certainly Tru Oil. It would be pretty good, but not as durable as the spar varnish.

Any ideas what oil he's talking about? Thanks
    There's a mess of them...
    Brownells carries about a half dozen.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...dex.htm?f_a=13

Tru-Oil and Lin-Speed are probably the two most well known.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I know ash is more easily bent; white oak would be my wood of choice. Check out cold bent woods http://www.puretimber.com/cold-bend-hardwood/ for a source of white oak that bends easily and stays bent once it has dried.

I actually bent a piece of white oak by hand at a Woodworkers club http://www.wwch.org/ meeting; very impressive technology is employed, watch the videos you
    ll be amased..
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    I'm making a new trout net. I ripped three strips of ash, steamed with my wallpaper steamer and bent around a jig. A guy from Wisconsin who makes beautiful nets says he glues up with urethane. So far so good. He said he finishes with a gun stock oil...many coats. Waterproofs and looks great. Any ideas what oil he's talking about? Thanks
    No pics; didn't happen