Thread: Looking for advice from the good people of sawmill!

Looking for advice from the good people of sawmill!

i would like to start out that i have been a heavy equipment operator for many yrs and was wondering if it was over my head to try to get into buying a cnc router with no exp with this type of work.I was looking at a shopbot buddy with possibly the aspire software to try and learn this new trade from scratch.
    i was trying to think of trying this as i would be moving to se asia to apply this as my way of living,i do have my own home and wife and child there.
    I have some savings tucked away to give me time to learn and have always been interested in wood working ect.
    so any advice would be welcome about machine to learn on,software,shipping parts tech support.Or am i just way over my head! As trying to get work for a canadian guy in se asia it doesnt pay much and teaching english is just not my thing...

Can't say if it's over your head, but make sure any equipment you take with you will work on the voltages there.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't think you would have any real problems learning a machine, I worked in a factory most of my life with a side dose of construction during summer months. I bought a Laser engraver not having a clue as to what they were or how they worked. I just saw some stuff that was done on one and decided I wanted one LOL Wasn't real hard to learn how to run the machine. The hard part is learning how to use the design software, coreldraw, CAD, AI ,what ever.
    The making a living with one well thats a whole nother story all together. Its not my goal to do that but theirs many people here that do and can tell you whats you have to do to go down that path. But I would say you will be able to learn the machine and even the software in time. Good Luck with your adventure.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yes they do run 220,and the odd power cuts!but pretty sure electrician could fix me up with the proper voltages.thanks for the input.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Shaun, welcome to SawMill Creek.
    I don’t think anyone can tell you if what you have planned is over your head but you. Most CNC routers operate under the same basic principles, the real learning curve is in the software. Vectric has demo version’s of their software including Aspire and V-Carve Pro on-line, along with excellent training videos. Download them and work through the tutorials. You will be better able to answer the questions you have as you gain knowledge. I will say this about learning CNC; you only get out what you put into it.

Link to Vectric demo’s & tutorials: http://www.vectric.com/downloads/trial-software.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Aspire (Vectric) has lots of great videos that will help you a lot.
    And if you go with the shopbot, don't forget you can take a training class with them.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Your challenge is not going to be learning how to run the machine. The big one is figuring out what to make and how to market it.

I second Ted Reischl. Learning and running the cnc is the easiest part of any operation. T
    The hardest part is marketing and selling your products / services.

Questions you need to ask yourself: Do I have or can learn the skills in the sales business? Am I outgoing person or reclusive? How do I like for people to sell to me? I would investigate salesmanship way more than the cnc. The cnc is just a tool where selling is a skill.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks