Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must have Tools, Jigs, and Gadgets?

2" squeeze clamps, and 4" F clamps. I seem to use them all the time.

Hey Jack, nice Wadkin clothes. Stylin' man.

hand made squares, cheap, handy, accurate
    4 in double square
    two foot fold out rule
    japanese small awl
    All my chisels....hoot!

Tape dispensers, I have 3 I bought from Uline, I use a lot of painters tape for all sorts of things. I also use one for veneer tape.Having packing tape around is also handy when you don't want glue sticking to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Sorry, I no longer have the magazine. I could post more detailed photos and some measurements if there is interest.
    I'm definitely interested in this! Looks like a cool multi purpose tool to have around
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I was American Woodworker. Very handy!

http://www.americanwoodworker.com/bl...hop-stool.aspx

Mike

I suppose a workbench is a big tool, mine is the most used tool in the shop. Little tools I use often is my collection of Stanley knives, a 12" adjustable square, a 2-1/2" Purdy angled sash brush, and a good dado set.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    4" double square has become one of favorite and most used items. Engineeers square are high on the list too.
    +1. Love my 4" double squares. When I am in the shop (which ain't much these days..) I use them all the time. Set them for a particular offset and leave 'em for the duration of the project.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I use my Kreg jig's quite a bit.
    Eureka zone track saw
    carpenters square
    Scott Loven

My 4" double square, use it all the time. Grippers on the TS. Tilt box angle finder, bought it from the guy locally who makes them in Newark, Ohio, no affiliation just a really nice guy and I wanted to support a local fella, but I do use that thing more than I thought I would when I bought it. Those are the things I seem to have to put away after just about every project, other than a good old pencil, in that case I use an old Boston hand sharpener for every project, does that count?

Blog Entries
    Worksharp 3000
    Wixey digital angle gage
    dado set (surprised how much I use it)
    cross cut sled(s)
    12" quick grip clamps (extra hands)

6 inch metal ruler that I got from Woodcraft. Feel lost without it. That and a 4" double square that gets used a lot on every project.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    OK, I'm always trying to stock my small shop with things that make a woodworking episode easier.
    I modeled my shop on what Norm Abram use in the New Yankee Workshop. There's a webpage that list all the tools he used here... http://www.normstools.com/normstools.shtml
    Although, a lot of the model numbers are no longer valid and some of the manufactures aren't quite the quality they used to be (Delta and Porter-Cable, are two examples of that) it gives you a good start of what a well equipped shop should have.
    And one of the most useful things I ever bought because I saw Norm use it (and I probably wouldn't have found it on my own otherwise) is the Jack Rabbit Driver (http://www.jackrabbittool.com/) - if you have never tried it or seen it, I suggest you give it a look. Norm used it all the time in the NYW and it truly is a great way to drill/drive screws.
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 11-03-2014 at 3:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Nupla 2lb Deadblow Hammer, one face steel.
    • Quick-Grip Clamps
    • Veritas Saddle Square
    • 12v Compact Drill/Driver
    • Blue Spruce Marking Knife
    • Popular Mechanics (Vermont American made 'em for Wally World) Scratch Awl
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Festool Domino

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    favorite, most go to gadget/s?
    The tools that I most often grab for, in order of importance:

1. Starrett 4" double square
    2. Starrett analog/fractional dial calipers
    3. Starrett 12" combo square
    4. Lee Valley corner square
    5. Mid-grade quality 9" and 6" squares

Cannot even start a project without these for layout. Then:

6. Tite-Mark guage
    7. LN LA block plane
    8. Chisels. The best you can afford. Better quality and fewer sizes trumps lower quality and more sizes. Do you best.
    9. Quality backsaws: Dovetail [rip] and crosscut. The best you can afford. Since I have never schooled myself on saw sharpening, I give points to LN, because of their lifetime sharpening thing.
    10. LN #3 Brass bench plane. A real treasure.

I am not a neander - I burn as many electrons as I can. But - that only gets you so far. This list is invaluable to me.

I should have bought, much earlier, the 4" double-square, and the Starrett calipers. The calipers ones I had before were pathetic - but I did not realize how pathetic until I had the Starrett. I do not like the digital - the fractional ones have "tick marks" that correspond exactly to the tick marks on my TS fence and my CMS fence.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.