Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for hardware storage

Ideas for hardware storage

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap, easy to build, hardware storage drawer system for nut and bolts? I don't store much like hinges and things, but I have an enormous amount of different nuts and bolts, screws, random little parts, jig hardware, etc that I need to get organized. I'm not looking for anything fancy. It doesn't have to necessarily be big drawers with fancy compartments. Just anything that I could build cheaply and easily...no fancy joinery, not an heirloom piece, etc. Strictly functional. I want to knock it out in a day and be done with it.

Thanks for any ideas!

This is not cheap but it's easy

7 Screws.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I made a quick and dirty (and relatively cheap) door out of 4 Stack On 27 drawer units screwed to a piece of plywood for a shallow cabinet that hides my wrenches, sockets, other things that don't get much use in a woodshop. The drawers can be subdivided for small quantities of things. I like the setup but have already run out of room. May need to add a second set somewhere in the shop.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    John, see if you can find 1 or 2 of these at your local salvage yard. They hold an incredible amount of ‘stuff’. I paid ~ $25 for this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use a number of Plano Stowaway boxes like these -- they have adjustable partitions and can easily be stacked or built into a simple plywood storage cube. They are inexpensive and very versatile -- I buy one style in regular or deep compartments.

All our nut/bolt stuff fits in Durham brand units....they aren't that expensive.No big deal there.

Reason for post however is about pre-cut cardboard bxs.We first started using them on resto projects to categorise parts.I got ours at a local Graingers,and even there,the prices were pretty durn cheap.Interestingly,they fit into above Durham,open style stowage units.They're(cardboard)amazingly sturdy.Linky below is just for reference.I reckon you could build a plywood shelf unit to house them?They come in several sizes.Good luck,sm stowage units has long been at issue.

http://www.uline.com/BL_310/Corrugated-Bin-Dividers

For nuts, bolts and screws I just use a commercially available clear bin system available at pretty much any home center.

What I struggle with is storage for other types of hardware that I have leftover from projects, purchased for "inventory", found in odd places, etc...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    I use a number of Plano Stowaway boxes like these -- they have adjustable partitions and can easily be stacked or built into a simple plywood storage cube. They are inexpensive and very versatile -- I buy one style in regular or deep compartments.
    That's in line with what I was going to suggest. Buy as many as you will need, design and build a simple cabinet to hold them so you can pull out the one you want and then buy a label maker and mark them accurately, both on the end of the box for storage on the shelf and on the inside of the lid for each compartment.

Menards runs these on sale about every three months - $.50 with a $.50 rebate - limit of 10.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2308200-c-9189.htm

Hard to get much cheaper than free.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

John,

I bought a bunch of "stack & Hang" plastic bins from McFeelys (about $2 each) if I recall. They are available in many sizes and colors. I mounted them to a plywood board using 1 1/2" Z-clips from amazon 920 clips for $9.00. The bins hang securely on the clips, yet can be easily removed to examine the contents or to carry to a project or to my workbench. If necessary, larger clips can be used for larger bins and that makes the system extremely flexible.

I expanded on a carousel system my grandfather started 50 years ago. My only expense is the hardware. The 1/2" Ultralight MDF disks are from scrap from an ongoing job.

fastener rack 001.jpg

Jam jars,pickle jars,are used in my shop to hold nuts and bolts,dowels,pens & pencils,brushes and left over liquids like Kerosene,ammonia,paint thinner.
    I also use medium,small pill bottles for small screws,washers,etc.
    I like Yonak's carousel,that will be my next to do list.

Alright, I think John needs to define what an "enormous amount of different nuts and bolts, screws, random little parts, jig hardware, etc" is in his world.

Are we talking jars, are we talking small bins, medium bins, are we talking drawers, ...

"enormous" covers an enormous range.

Given that he expects to solve this in a days work, I'm going to guess small bins.

I also ended up with a Plano system. Built a plywood cabinet for them. Best system I ever had. I sorted different types of hardware and wrote on each box what is included, so I can relatively quickly find what I need. I liked this so much, I did the same for my router bits. They are shielded from dust and I can take a box to the project. I will post pictures tomorrow. I got the idea from here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    That's in line with what I was going to suggest. Buy as many as you will need, design and build a simple cabinet to hold them so you can pull out the one you want and then buy a label maker and mark them accurately, both on the end of the box for storage on the shelf and on the inside of the lid for each compartment.

John
    Here you go 112 Drawers all made from wood, should hold all that you have. A little pricey.
    Fabulous Rare Antique 112 Drawer Rotating Wood Hardware Cabinet 1901 - $2495

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/4725686161.html