Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bucket List; places to see

I have traveled a little in my life. Australia, Singapore, and India twice, The Netherlands, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, the UK, Mexico, Canada, Japan, the Bahamas, and lived in Honduras and Belize for 19 months. My wife and I are very excited about a trip to mainland China in January. We will also get to see Hainan Island and Hong Kong. I love all of the uniqueness that the world offers, and the fun of traveling. But I am always glad to come home. I have found nowhere else in the world what we enjoy in the US.
    (We are less than excited about Chinese "squatty potties" though!)
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

When you go to China make sure you load up your pockets each morning with TP from your hotel room. Public restrooms in restaurants and malls do not provide TP or hand towels.

To late Jim, now you've let out. Let's keep it secret.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I'm more of an explore-the-USA-first kind of guy, although I have been in several central American ports on a cruise as well as several Caribbean islands. Does that count? Before jumping offshore, check out the good old USA first. We toured 9,000 RV miles out west last summer, nearly repeating a trip my family took 50 years ago. Great memories. Hawaii and Alaska are two gems not to be missed. And some major national parks should be on the list too, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon to name a few. The USA has so much to offer geographically it is staggering compared to any other country. We are so, so fortunate. I enjoy water so the Great Lakes, Florida beaches, New England coastal areas have sparked my interest.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If only one place...I would choose New Zealand. Tour both islands by bus, trains and ferry....fly into one island, ferry from one island to the other ..fly out of the other.

^^^ DO THIS !!

2-1/2 weeks; almost 2 weeks spent on the western coast of the south island - the east coast is more "touristy". The west coast is jaw-dropping. But - we are not "tour" people - rent a car. See Milford Sound. Take a chopper ride to the glaciers. Walk among the kauri trees.

As a second idea: Istanbul. It straddles Europe and Asia. The Bosphorous - famous throughout written history. It straddles incredible history.

When the Holy Roman Empire split to east and west, Constantine located the east in Byzantium, renamed it Constantinople.

The 4th Crusade - the crusaders could not pay their bill in Venice for ships and equipment, so they struck a deal where they would sack Constantinople, rather that going to fight in Egypt - the Christians sacked the Christians, to settle their account in Venice.

The history of the Ottoman Empire.

The history of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, leading the Turkish defensive forces at the debacle known as Anzac Cove in WW I, which led to his rise in the national conscience and political rise, and then went on to found the modern secular Turkish state. Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty, driving the Dardanelles battles, and losing his job over that fiasco.

The architecture is simply remarkable.

Been many places in the world - saw 40+ states by the time I was 15 - we have seen the USA. If I could make 2 more trips, it would be these two. NZ South Island. Istanbul.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chan View Post
    When you go to China make sure you load up your pockets each morning with TP from your hotel room. Public restrooms in restaurants and malls do not provide TP or hand towels.
    We have so been warned! Thanks for the info.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

African safari. I worked in Kenya for eight months and had the opportunity to take some non-tourist trips and it's a real experience.

I also fell in love with the Mediterranean. Start any where and follow the coast, hit the islands, be local, and take your time.

After 30+ years in uniformed service and seeing wonderful places on both sides of the "ponds" we have on each side; let me tell you there are people who hate us and people who admire us. There used to be a term "The ugly Americans", because sometimes it seemed we earned it. On the other hand, I've heard stories from those who told me of the generosity of Americans they encountered. Seen some fabulous sites on both sides. You've got to decide what appeals to you and then go. IMHO, if you have the opportunity but only explore your own back yard, you're missing an opportunity to have a mind expanding and enriching experience.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Chan View Post
    Wow, well I guess that's one way to deal with the problem of people that are wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dedon View Post
    African safari. I worked in Kenya for eight months ...
    What did you think of Kenya?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    ...Australia, Singapore, and India twice, The Netherlands, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, the UK, Mexico, Canada, Japan, ....have found nowhere else in the world what we enjoy in the US.
    (We are less than excited about Chinese "squatty potties" though!)
    I haven't traveled much so that's nice to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    In the US the Grand Canyon (I've only seen it from the air)
    The Grand Canyon is absolutely breathtaking. I would love to go back when I have the time to hike rim to rim.

In 2013, I did Angkor Wat Cambodia and Phnom Phen. We also spent 6 days in Saigon, just hanging out .. It was the trip of a lifetime.

One of my favorite cities to visit has been Havana Cuba. I have been so many times that I actually know my way around at least 1/2 the city.. Havana is very friendly .. I have hung out with American's who snuck in through Mexico on many occasions and they have always commented on how friendly the Cuban people are to them.

I want to see Peru and have never been to Europe.

Blog Entries
    My bucket list is pretty modest compared to some of the others:

1) A Packer game at Lambeau field.
    2) The Motown Museum in Detroit.
    3) The new Cowboys stadium.
    4) The Lie Nielsen facility in Maine.
    5) New York City.
    6) Hawaii.
    7) Normandy, France.
    8) I asked my wife and she said a trip west, California and the Grand Canyon. And also Ireland.

Just to name a few.

PHM

My wife and I went out of the country for the first time, last March. We were on a group vacation to Cozumel. While there I was able to remove something from my bucket list, climb to the top of a Mayan pyramid! We (I) chose the less known and traveled site of Ek Balam and it was unbelievable. I would go back in a heartbeat, both to the Mayan ruins and to Cozumel. The people were so friendly and accepting of all the goofy tourists. I know that tourism is how everyone there makes their living, but even the people that were at the parade (we were there during Carnaval!) that didn't work at the bar/restaurant were so friendly.

Now the food.... our resort wasn't very good, but outside of the resort it was good.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------