Thread: Abrasives for rubbing out

Abrasives for rubbing out

Hi,

I'm about to rub out a large table to gloss (flat surfaces only) that has a Nitrocellulose lacquer finish. I have the 3M perfect-it compounds (I have used these on automotive) but I need the 400,1000, 2000 grits or similar.
    Of course 3M has a system of 6" hookit pads in 1500 to 5000 grit but it will cost 100's of dollars for just a few pads and the backers. I think these are optimized for curved surfaces.

Should I just use wet/dry sheet paper with a sanding block, a 6" RO sander or I also have a half sheet RO sander?
    I have never useds the half sheet RO with very fine paper but it does a great job flattening bare wood.
    I have the standard rubber sanding block which does not work too well dry (it corns a lot even with 3M gold paper).

I think the starting 3M compound is really only effective after 5000 grit abrasives so that may be an issue also.

Needless to say, a Stuhr sander is not really an option.

Thanks
    Last edited by Alex Horvath; 11-02-2014 at 5:52 PM.

Just a few tips.. nitrocellulose lacquer rubs to a high gloss very well, you just need to let the lacquer cure very well, to the point you can no longer smell the lacquer.. hopefully what ever surface you are rubbing out is not ring porous, or if it is it ring porous it has been filled with grain filler, otherwise the dried rubbing compound will fill the pores with white residue.. I would rub out the finish by hand with 1000-1500 wet and dry paper by hand with water with a little dish detergent added, then use a high speed polisher to rub out the compound, I have used Meguiars number 1 and then number 3

Ok, sounds good. It's a thick finish but I'm afraid using power sanding tools will go through the finish - one slip near the edge of the table.....

I had some open grain but I put on 4 coats so far to fill all the grain. I know from experience that even after you fill the grain with finish it will shrink and the grain will re-appear so I'll probably apply 4 more coats and let it cure for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Horvath View Post
    Ok, sounds good. It's a thick finish but I'm afraid using power sanding tools will go through the finish - one slip near the edge of the table.....

I had some open grain but I put on 4 coats so far to fill all the grain. I know from experience that even after you fill the grain with finish it will shrink and the grain will re-appear so I'll probably apply 4 more coats and let it cure for a week.
    If you want to "finish fill" (fill the grain with finish) you'll have to sand between coats. I use a power sander with 320 grit sandpaper and slow down the sander. The residue of nitrocellulose lacquer is not too bad because the next coat will dissolve the sanding dust. Once you get a flat finish, you can polish. I use Menzerna polishing compounds. It comes in different grades. I start with 2L and then go to the really fine stuff (sorry, I forgot the rating).

Let the lacquer cure really well between coats. As you mentioned, the lacquer will shrink as it cures so you can sand the surface flat and then come back and find a lot of open pores in it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.