Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

3 Nov 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    The temps here have fallen far enough to get our first frost of the year. I'm really enjoying the cooler temps and my depression seems to have lifted, for this I am very grateful.

I will start teaching my youngest son how to turn wood on the lathe in the next week or so. He has expressed a desire to learn this skill and I'm more than willing to teach him. The house addition started out looking like this:

Here is a shot of what the outside looks like from the front of the house:

I'll post more pics later as I have time.
    I started oncall for the day job today and I already get stressed just thinking about it, but it is what it is.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

It was a windy, cold, rainy, nasty weekend here, so outside of the normal equestrian time on Saturday, I did spend a nice chunk of time in the shop. Tasks completed included resawing and prepping "inventory" of cherry and black walnut 1/4" thick x 3" wide stock that I use for trimming out my tack trunks as well as getting started on the next tack trunk commission. (cherry trim over QSWO field)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    LOML and I returned from our trip to Japan. Saturday was rainy in Tokyo so we stayed pretty close to our district but went to the Panasonic design center and museum. There were some pretty innovative things there that are not yet imported into the USA. The flight was pretty uneventful (good). We returned to find the house not trashed which was extra good considering our son was taking care of it.

Serious jet lag this morning. I need to overcome by class time this evening.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

moulding.jpg Slide1.jpg
    Spent Sunday sanding and pre-finishing parts for my baseboards. Putting in about 400 lin feet of a four piece built-up craftsman style baseboard in cherry. Here are two of the smaller mouldings (the top one and the shoe moulding) nearly done at last. The wood for the window trim arrives today, but I splurged for S4S and had them sand it to 220, so if they've done a good job I won't be putting the next two weekends in pushing a sander.

Some more dust collector parts arrived last week, so I got my radial arm saw about 95% hooked up, and reworked my RAS' cardboard dust catcher to use a 4" hose instead of a 2.5" shop vac hose. The last part is that I still need to find/make a 2.5" to 1.75" adapter so I can hook up the (post-recall) blade guard's dust port to the DC. Just holding the 2.5" hose over the dust port with some duct tape, I was surprised how effective both it and the cardboard catcher were when it came to collecting a lot of the dust coming off the blade.

I also got a Wixey angle gauge, so that's pretty cool. Not surprisingly, my table saw's 90deg stop needs to be adjusted... It'll go about 1.1 degrees past 90.
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 11-03-2014 at 4:04 PM.
    ~Garth

I don't usually respond to this thread but it is the perfect opportunity to tell someone who can appreciate what I did. I completed my least favorite task Sunday - I emptied my DC and blew all the dust out of the Wynn filter. I also blew the dust out of my ambient ceiling air cleaner as well. I HATE that job but man, does my DC suck now!
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Finished putting up styrofoam all around my woodshop (small barn building) now I just need to redo the doors and it will be ready for window

I've been working on a Boston rocker (my first chair!), and managed to get the parts and fitting for the bottom all done this weekend! (Been working on it for about a month now in my spare time.)

IMG_20141102_123205_small.jpg

- Cory

Got the front slab of my Split-Bo build trimmed to length. Need to cut the tenon for the endcap, route out where the wagon vise mounts, etc, etc. I also got some new pieces for the wheels of the mobile base for Uncle Max cut. I also did a handy upgrade to my backwall. I cut a bunch of thin strips of pine, most using a bandsaw, then cleaned up the pieces with a handplane, "bevelled" the nose, and used them to make parking spaces for my handplanes. Now I can put my handplanes back where they belong without worrying nearly as much about banging 'em into one another.

I also mounted the Woodriver workbench casters on my existing bench. Thus far, they seem to be a top notch product. Being able to move this bench around easy-peasy in the future is going to be quite handy.

The other thing I did was get some pics of my excess jointers and planers so I can post 'em for sale.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    I teach boatbuilding on Saturdays at a community workshop that helps troubled youth and gives them usable skills. We are building two Guillemot Night Heron hybrid kayaks. (Hybrid means a plywood hull and wood strip deck)

image.jpg