Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaluating a 1955 Bryant Runabout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Evaluating a 1955 Bryant Runabout

I haven’t found out much about these yet….Bryant was a lumber company in Seattle during the 1920’s and also a large marina on Lake Union from the 1930’s through at least the 1960’s. I don’t know if they made these boats on Lake Union or simply brought them in for resale. I do know that Bryant hired shipwrights all through the 1960’s. Perhaps there are Seattle runabout enthusiasts who can help me learn more about the boat.

Surprisingly nice lines for a plywood production boat, it’s a good-sized runabout at 19’ and over 7’ beam, seating 6 adults comfortably with even room for a nap in a v-berth beneath the foredeck.

This particular one was owned only by one Seattle family who recently donated it to the CWB museum, where I bought it at auction for next winter’s restoration project. The boat is entirely complete, to include its 1956 Johnson 35 electric-start motor that still runs. From examining the boat, I can tell they used the boat for fishing from 1955 to sometime in the 1960’s when they repainted it once….then used it until the late 1970’s when it was stored under cover until now.

The trailer is a tilting, fully-adjustable roller model, still with good bearings and tires.

These were made entirely of mahogany plywood with a well-thought-out mix of White Oak, H.Mahog and Port Orford Cedar framing. Joinery is excellent throughout.

Fasteners are bronze ringshank nails throughout, with galvanized bolts fastening the oak keel, keelson, bilge keels and transom that will be replaced with bronze, as will all other galvanized parts.

Continued….
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

From the yellow registration numbers beneath the paint, you can see the entire boat above the waterline was originally finished bright…

…and it appears the faying surfaces were mostly bedded in U/F plastic resin glue for sandability and matching glue lines. No red or white lead in the boat I can find…some dried out but colored goo is beneath the chromed bronze fittings…perhaps white lead with some pigment.

Amazingly, the only rot (although I’ve only pulled a sampling of galvanized fasteners so far) is in one small area beneath the deck where it will be easy to let in new wood…

…the mahogany ply transom and its PO Cedar framing appear entirely sound.

Continued…
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

The boat will require a new deck…a relatively easy job with the original for a pattern…

…and I only fault the builders for the windshield frame. Lovely joinery, but that plywood just isn’t strong enough to be used as the grab rail it served as. I may be able to save it, however, by lamming solid mahog atop it and perhaps adding some bronze drifts.

The only evidence of leaks are at one spot in the stringers where the foot of the seat frame is mounted….I’m fortunate the owners used household caulk here and not Bondo for their patch. No rot around it, so I suspect refastening and epoxy will solve the problem….and perhaps spreading the weight of that seat across a broader area.

The boat is largely original with a few cool touches…

Continued…

…and I’ll replace the cables, but the steering wheel, controls and switches can all be saved. I’ve also bought a matching 1956 3hp Johnson kicker motor that hasn’t arrived yet with colors that match the 35 prime mover.

And The Force continues to be with me, as this 1970’ s-vintage battery in its wood box didn’t leak any battery acid all the way through the hull.

A spec boat, I’m just over 500 bucks into this so far, to include the ferry tickets to get it home. Now I'll dismantle to find any other problems and figure manhours before putting it away til I'm ready to work on it.

As usual, Bob, your post is very educational and intriguing. I have often fantasized about finding and restoring some sort of Chris Craft runabout. One of my high school chums restored a wooden runabout which his father had built with a Shop Smith and mail order plans in the 50's. I helped with it and enjoyed it greatly. I'll look forward to your progress. Jerry.

I can't wait to see the progress pictures and what it looks like when you're done!

Bob, I really enjoy seeing your restoration work. I feel like we are really in at the start on this one. It will be very interesting to see how it goes (and what suprises await you).

Bob,

That is an awesome photo journal and I appreciate you sharing it. My favorite uncle was a Chris Craft boat builder before he passed away many years ago. I was always intrigued with the working of his craft in my younger years. You are bringing back many fond memories and I hope you will continue to allow us to follow you with the progress. The boat needs a lot of work for sure, but appears to be in fairly restorable shape. I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

Please do keep the pictures coming as work progresses.

Right now I'm thinking 160-200 hours that includes a solid mahog deck bedded in the replacement plywood skin....perhaps with ebony spacers between the planks.

My larger power washer'll remove most of the coatings, as the varnish wasn't properly keyed to take the paint, and the varnish itself is long brittle.

That's not a lot of hours for a boat.

Figure another grand in materials/parts, and that's $5500 for the resale to get 20 an hour and better both with a higher resale price (this one has a broad market here) and a couple magazine articles based on it sold at 12-1500 each.

As usual, I'll survive....and with no client to piss on my leg, either.

I can build them from scratch as well as most....but it's much harder to break even on shop hours in an 800-hour project and there's a solid green and well-off niche market here that prefers the oldies brought back to life rather than more trees killed.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 07-14-2005 at 1:57 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    My first thought was 1 match will take care of that, but experince tells me to sit back and watch the magic unfold.

Thanks again for the adventure
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

As always, it's a pleasure to watch The Master at work! I'm looking forward to the progress and lessons learned! Thank you!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I'll join the gallery! After seeing pics of your last gorgeous restoration on another forum, I can't wait to see how this one turns out!Bill in Delaplane, VA

Bob,

Does this boat have full length, seamless plywood in the hull?

Back in the 50's, 60's and early 70's it was common up here in the Northwest to order marine grade plywood in lengths from the plywood mill.

I had a 16 footer back in '58 made from 3 sheets of 4' x 18' x 3/8th marine grade fir - 2 sheets for the bottom and another sawn in 2 for the sides.

I drove truck for the mill when I was in high school and delivered many 30 to 40 foot sheets to the shipyards.

One summer they made a 4' x 100' sheet for the table at the company picnic.

That marine grade fir was beautiful stuff - all layers were clear - no voids and no patches. But in those days I also ran a full shift of 2 x 4 fir through the planner and never saw a knot!

Bob,

Here's a typical plan of the 50's for plywood and this is the same company we used to buy plans from:

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/nomad.html

Not seamless. Picture three shows a nicely-done resorcinol scarf joint.