Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evaluating a 1955 Bryant Runabout

Bob,

Here's a typical plan of the 50's for plywood and this is the same company we used to buy plans from:

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/nomad.html

Not seamless. Picture three shows a nicely-done resorcinol scarf joint.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Hi Bob,

Great boat! As and old former salt of the sea I can say that this particular boat looks like it has spent some time completely submerged (paint blistering). However, at 500 it is still a bargain. Sounds like a great project.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    Hi Bob,

Great boat! As and old former salt of the sea I can say that this particular boat looks like it has spent some time completely submerged (paint blistering). However, at 500 it is still a bargain. Sounds like a great project.

Chris
    No....there's only blistering where UV hit it....besides, this light ply boat wouldn't sink completely without a couple heavy truck engine blocks to help.

The varnish was painted over without adequate sanding so 1) The paint didn't adhere well....and 2) The varnish was also too far UV-deteriorated to paint over, further creating an easily-peeled layer.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Bob,

Would this boat have been (originally) varnished or painted? BTW, I wasnt to see some pictures of those outboard motors Do you plan on overahauling the main motor?

Boat was varnished and it depends on what the motor needs. I don't have a stand that large and'll build one before I do the compression check.

These don't have many hours on them usually. New rubber parts and a good fuel system cleaning is often all that's required.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 07-15-2005 at 6:55 AM.

Bob, that sounds like a great project. I've been looking to buy or build a smaller boat (14' ) for fishing that would be easy to launch by one person and also usefull on electric motor only lakes. Anyhow, one of the plans I've been looking at is from Nexus Marine out your way and I would be interested in your thoughts on their 16' San Juan Dory (http://www.nexusmarine.com/san_juan_dory.html)

I read a article about tires just lately that said the the carbon in the rubber starts breaking down after 5 years. I think I'd probably replace the tires.

Looks like lots of work. But I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Now lets roll.............
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen