Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lie Nielson to Veritas conversion?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    I don't see a reason to choose. They both make quality tools. Buy what you like. It is for you, not anyone else. What does it matter what anyone else thinks.
    Certainly you can't go wrong with either brand, but as for why it matters what others think, it's about making an informed buying decision. It is wise to ask for the opinions of others, then make an informed decision based on that and what you yourself feel is best.

I usually buy Veritas between the two, but honestly it comes down to price most of the time; Veritas is usually just a few critical dollars less for many of the apples-to-apples tools.

Both companies have well-designed tools, and any differences in ergonomics are usually lost on my relatively inexperienced hands.

I do get the impression that the tools LN distributes but doesn't make (Bogg's spokeshaves) are as high quality as the other tools it manufactures itself. The distributed lines that Lee Valley sells can sometimes be amazing values, but not in the same quality league as Veritas.

Both are impressive companies with impressive founders/owners. They take genuine pride in quality and innovation (it's not just an overused tagline for either) and I hope both continue to thrive.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    The boggs shaves and Auriou rasps are very high quality. My only gripe with the shaves are that the mouth is too tight.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The boggs shaves and Auriou rasps are very high quality. My only gripe with the shaves are that the mouth is too tight.
    The mouth on the Boggs shaves is tight. But I see that as a good thing because I use that shave as a "finish" shave. I have other shaves that I use for rough shaping - those have a more open mouth.

I remember the first time I used a Boggs shave - a friend lent me his when I was doing some Windsor chairs. I was just amazed at how nicely the Boggs shave worked. I went out and bought my own.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike. It makes a very fine cut, so I may have to play with the shaving thickness to optimize it. It regularly wraps shavings around the mouth at current.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Certainly you can't go wrong with either brand, but as for why it matters what others think, it's about making an informed buying decision. It is wise to ask for the opinions of others, then make an informed decision based on that and what you yourself feel is best.
    Like I said, they both make quality tools that do the same jobs. The OP was thinking he was going to get some argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    ...and yes, I know those are fighting words around here.
    I own tools from both. Other than appearance, there isn't much to argue about. They both do the job they were designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I do get the impression that the tools LN distributes but doesn't make (Bogg's spokeshaves)
    Actually Lie-Nielsen makes and markets the Boggs spoke shaves for Brian Boggs. Brian provided the design and undoubtedly has a royalty arrangement with Lie-Nielsen. I believe L-N is not the original maker of Boggs shaves as I remember Brian commenting about changing makers quite a few years ago. It might have been Lee Valley, but don't hold me to that.

Buy and use both!
    I feel very fortunate to have many choices for high quality hand and power tools that don't cost a house payment.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Buy and use both!
    I feel very fortunate to have many choices for high quality hand and power tools that don't cost a house payment.

-Brian
    Agreed. I just wish I had more money to pursue my latest little passion, which is getting a few more Japanese saws and chisels.

Interesting thread, but here I was hoping it was about using a PM-V11 blade in a Lie Nielsen plane. (I still think I could make one work in my LN BU jack if the hole for the cap pass through is in the right place, and just grind an adjuster a lot after the fact)