Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffing adaptors

Buffing adaptors

I've been trying to contact Don Pencil to get his buffing system. Mostly I want his lathe adaptor, the 8" or the 12" for the wheels and balls. There has been no response from his site, email or phone. Do any of you know where something similar is available elsewhere?

Thanks,

Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

I looked a couple of months ago and even tried to interest another manufacturer into producing them, no luck. Beall has an MT adapter and extender, but that does not get you as far from the head. If you have a tap to match your spindle you could turn one from hardwood.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Try Packard. They list 8" adapters.

Try Craft Supplies. I just got a special order from them for my ONeway. It's aluminium and is great. I too thought about a wooden one but this one runs really true. Not too expensive either. I think I paid about $36.00 us and it is not a standard stocked size.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Try Craft Supplies. I just got a special order from them for my ONeway. It's aluminium and is great. I too thought about a wooden one but this one runs really true. Not too expensive either. I think I paid about $36.00 us and it is not a standard stocked size.
    this one?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...uffing-Adapter

Yep, that's the one I got.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Mark, any idea of the quality? Little said on the website.

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    I've got one of those and it works great, very well made and serves its purpose which is to get the buffing wheel farther away from the headstock.

Looks the same as the one I got . . . .
    Pete

I couldn't find any in Aussie so made my own. Very simple & made to fit in a chuck.2014-05-08 12.14.47.jpg

HTH

Col

I have the 1-1/4 8TPI 12" extension from Don Pencil and it is great. I don't think it is available still, and I had contact with Brad Packard and tried to encourage him to find Don's source and stock them. I also have 8" extensions in 1" thread and 1-1/4" thread, but the 12" really helps on larger bowls and hollow forms. I have even gone as far as using a section of 3/8" all thread and coupling nut to get a longer length for hollow forms using a small goblet buff, not a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Col Smith View Post
    I couldn't find any in Aussie so made my own. Very simple & made to fit in a chuck.2014-05-08 12.14.47.jpg

HTH

Col

So did I, they are easy to make and costs very little. All you need is a drill and tap for your lathe's spindle threads.

How do you tap something with spindle grain orientation? For me the tab acts more like a drill. And how do you drill the 1 1/4 inch clearance without a 1 1/4 twist drill that will self center? So far I think the Beale tap was a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    How do you tap something with spindle grain orientation? For me the tab acts more like a drill. And how do you drill the 1 1/4 inch clearance without a 1 1/4 twist drill that will self center? So far I think the Beale tap was a waste of money.

You drill and tap a blank as close to the center as you can, then mount the drilled and tapped blank on the lathe and turn it round. It now will be centered. For 1 1/4 threads, you will drill with a 1 1/8" drill bit. The taps and info are on the Beall Tool website.

A far as a waste of money, I use mine quite a bit to make tooling specific items. I have made a full set of spindle buffer adapters, with metal and wood, that in itself paid for the tap. I have small wood face plates that I use for turning pendants using double sided tape. I make custom mandrels for game calls with tapered rods. There are a lot of uses, but you have to use your imagination as to when you can use it.
    Last edited by Marvin Hasenak; 11-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.