Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socket Chisel Handle Source

Socket Chisel Handle Source

I am getting around finally to begin restoring a bunch of socket chisels which were my dads and are missing their handles. Since I don't have a lathe, I was hoping someone knew of a source for the hardwood handles. so far, Google has only come up with some English handles from Traditional Woodworker, are there any others out there woth looking at?

You can make octogonal handles without a lathe. Very comfortable, and they don't roll off the bench
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

There's some folks who come wandering in and out of here, as well as over at woodnet who might, for a reasonable price, be willing to turn some for you.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Deschler
    I am getting around finally to begin restoring a bunch of socket chisels which were my dads and are missing their handles. Since I don't have a lathe, I was hoping someone knew of a source for the hardwood handles. so far, Google has only come up with some English handles from Traditional Woodworker, are there any others out there woth looking at?
    Mike,

Here are three sources:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...currency=2&sid=

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...el_handles.htm

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...p?cPath=39_351

Of the tree, only the last sells socket-type handles.

Looking at them just now I think I used to have a few of the Traditional Woodworker units. I acquired three or four of them -- or of something that looks an awful lot like them -- in a large lot of chisels on eBay. If those are the ones, then I can't say I was too impressed. The dark patch on the butt end of the handle -- which looks like a leather strike ring in the picture on their website -- is really just a patch of wood that has been either scorched or dyed to look that way.

HTH,

Tom
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

At the high price you'll pay for those rare replacement handles, that dough and a little more would be better spent on a used lathe.

Older, used Delta 46's are decent starter lathes and are common as mud nation wide. The seller is likely to throw in the tools, too. $250 and up.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I agree with Bob.

Every chisel is different.

I use Berg chisels and own a Very nice set of sockets which I made and the labelled handles which I have stored.

I don;t have a lathe but know where to buy beer and pizza. My friend has a lathe. I go to his house and he teaches me how to turn. We have fun and in the end I get to use his lathe.

When he wants to sharpen tools or play with hand tools the party is at my place.

Dan Clermont

I like Dan's solution. Although my friend doesn't live close enough for beer and pizza, he did do these for me. I sent him some rosewood and brazilian cherry. These are by far the best chisel handles I have. I just wish I had sent him a couple better chisels to put those nice handles on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser
    At the high price you'll pay for those rare replacement handles, that dough and a little more would be better spent on a used lathe.

Older, used Delta 46's are decent starter lathes and are common as mud nation wide. The seller is likely to throw in the tools, too. $250 and up.
    Bob:

You got me thinking that if I finally finish up the stair project for mama, a lathe would be a good reward amongst other things, right?

What is mud nation wide? I've never heard that one before.

One other quick question--- How are the Stanley Everlasting steel end caps attached to the chisel body? I've never seen a sectioned drawing to describe the method.

Thanks,

Mike

Very nice Scott!!! I just had an inspirational vision and it seems that a lathe may be in my near future. Treat your friend well, they are hard to find!!

Mike

Blog Entries
    Uhh.. Lie Nielsen. They sell handles.

I've made my own handles out of oak.
    I made them with spoke shaves and hand planes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Uhh.. Lie Nielsen. They sell handles.

I've made my own handles out of oak.
    I made them with spoke shaves and hand planes.
    Their handles will not fit older Stanley and similar chisels and vise_versa.

I was in the same spot as you years ago and bought the excelsior lathe from Rockler for 199$. Set of turning tools from the bay or Penn state and you're in business. Mini lathe is great for turning handles, pens, etc. I've even turned a few hollow forms on it.

I've seen some old threads pulled up but... 10 years! I think this sets a record!

I found a Union Hardware socket chisel in someone's trash and needs a handle. No lathe, plan to carve and rasp it out. One of these days!

-Tom

As is often the case with revived older threads, it is a spammer/shill selling something. In this case the reviver and person posting for the first time was selling tool handles and linked to a website. This is not an uncommon occurrence and the post was deleted, a warning issued, and we move on from there. A repeat of the incident for a second time and that person gets permanently banned and their IP address blocked. Most of the time our members and contributors don't see those posts before they are removed. We depend heavily on you folks to alert us to this type of thing by reporting the post.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hardware stores use to sell socket handle, I know because I have one that's labeled Cluthe' ,Canucks know that name, another couple that are identical , one was loose in a tool chest I bought, the other on a file ? he worked hard to do that.