Thread: 'Tis the season for snowmen

'Tis the season for snowmen

snowman2.jpg

I've seen some awesome snowmen, tons of detail, great shapes. I went with sort of a basic, whimsical profile on this one, and decided to leave it just as an unadorned profile - no carrot nose or button eyes, etc.

Made a quick (5 minutes) video of the turning. Had some weird problems at the end with my screw-eye twisting off in the wood - see the video to see what I did to get around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co64tTrCU2s

Comments welcome!

-Steve

I enjoyed your video, Christmas ornaments are a favorite of mine. I will be making a few Snowman soon.

I'm interested in the pointed detail tool you were using, sure seemed efficient ... can you point me to one?

Thanks,
    Tim

A better eye for ornaments can be made from gold plated 3/0 Aberdeen fish hooks. They are much smaller and much less expensive as well! Check out Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops for multiple hook packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I enjoyed your video, Christmas ornaments are a favorite of mine. I will be making a few Snowman soon.

I'm interested in the pointed detail tool you were using, sure seemed efficient ... can you point me to one?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim, that was just the detailer tool from Easy Wood Tools. It's the only carbide too from that brand I own, since I find that brand to be pretty overpriced, honestly. But it is pretty nice, actually. Works like a detail spindle gouge, except a bit easier to use, unless you really need a fine point in a deep "v" cut or something like that.

I make my own eyelets/hooks. Stop by Harbor freight and spend 9 bucks (less if you have a 40% off cupon) and get a wire twister. Looks like plires that will hold wire. I get my wire from old floresent lights and strip it down. One piece of wire makes a ton of eyelets. Drill a 1/16 hole in the ornament and the eyelet will screw in tightly and hold well. Never buy eyelets again.