Thread: freehand turning

Weird. I just made a joke to my buddy today about "freehand turning". I didn't know it was standard practice for some!

Amazing video though, a joy to watch. Thanks for sharing, Jay.

I've seen that video before and it is a really cool one. That fella has, no doubt, made thousands of those dolls.

I am a bit confused about the "freehand turning" reference. Isn't that what we all do?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Sans tool rest ??

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post

I am a bit confused about the "freehand turning" reference. Isn't that what we all do?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

tool rest is under the work, and the tool is forced upward into the work

I had to watch it again to double check, but in this technique of turning... the tool rest (usually wooden) is actually almost level with the top of the work and the hook tools are applied via a downward angle. Now there are some very sharp tools that I see him using that I don't think he is using the tool rest. Looks like a razor sharp tool just used for final shaping/cleanup. I suppose that particular tool/motion could be "freehand".

Either way, I love watching these guys at work. It is highly repetitious, but that is how you become a master.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

At times it almost appears that the wooden support might be acting more like an arm rest than a tool rest. A joy to watch either way to be sure.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Coming up into the work from the underside eliminates catches. Neat video, but I think my threshold for boredom would be quickly reached!

For whatever reason when I first watched the video, I didn't catch that tool rest either. I thought it really was "freehand". Master at work, for sure. I found myself wondering whether his shop is as serene as the video or whether its loud and obnoxious with other things going on.

Interesting tools
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Clearly a skilled craftsman. Interesting to see fundamentally different approaches to turning. The tool is as supported as 'our' approach, just in a different way. There are a wide range of approaches to tool support. The Erzgebirge ring/hoop turners in German are another entirely different technology..

Here’s another approach, and fast repetitive turning, and who says bearings can’t stand beatings

Don’t need to be an old man to be good at it either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhR9ALVd0Js
    Have fun and take care

I would love to know what type of drive center is being used in both the video that the original poster showed and the one from Leo. No tailstock is being used, and it looks like they just bang the wood in hard. Next, I want the hollowing tool that the nested doll turner is using.

Hi, Dave:
    The drive center is probably one that is fairly common in Europe for production work: http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/prod...003724?lang=en

The hollowing tool appears to be a hook tool: http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Catal...ningTools.html

Take care
    Bob

15. yep, looks like a hook tool.

if you like making tools - Alan Lacer has a great video on how to make a hook tool from start to finish, including hardening.