Thread: 1st Burl

1st Burl

Since today was probably going to be the last decent weather day for awhile, decided to finally get the chainsaw out and slice and dice this cherry burl. I've had it for a couple months but just couldn't decide how to cut it but chose what I thought might be the safe way and make 4 smaller pieces instead of a bigger 1 or 2 pieces.

This chunk was the largest of the 4 pieces. After getting it round and drilling the starter hole I was really looking forward to seeing how my new Robust comfort rest was going to work out on the inside BUT......this piece had alot of vibration in it as soon as a put the bowl gouge to it. Hold it on the outside top while spinning and no noticeable vibration but put it on the inside and regardless of tool pressure a noticeable vibration. Got a few inches deep and decided to put the steady rest on and that helped but not 100%. Ended up using the hollowing rig to complete the job but couldn't figure out what the vibration fight was all about. Piece ended up 9"D x 8"H and 7" deep. Tenon was 2 5/8". After reversing and putting the chuck on, I did true it up again so I'm scratching my head a bit about where the vibration was coming from. Is this not unusual for this type of wood with voids and bark inclusions?????CB2.jpgdcb1.jpgdcb2.jpgdcb3.jpgdcb4.jpg

here's the rest of the pictures

dcb5.jpgdcb6.jpgdcb7.jpgdcb8.jpgdcb10.jpg

An outstanding chunk of burl project, but I suspect the undersized tenon is the source of the vibration. Burls often are out of balance due to several factors such as irregular density, uneven H2O content, etc.

The burl looks great. You did an excellent job. Did you already apply finish on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    The burl looks great. You did an excellent job. Did you already apply finish on it?
    No finish yet. It's in a paper bag on the basement floor right now. It will get final turning right before Christmas next year.