Thread: Norway Maple

Norway Maple

I was able to get some of this as a blow down tree....Has anyone turned this & what steps should I take to use it.....I basically do bowl shapes & have no experience in turning wet wood....I like instant result & not have to wait months for it to dry so I turn dry wood. The largest diameters are around 14"....Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I had to cut down a Norway Maple last year. Lots of nice wood that you can practice with. The crotches and areas around the base and the branches can have lovely curl and figure. Most of the straight portions of the tree are pretty plane and drab. Despite that, one of my wife's favorite bowls is her popcorn bowl made from the tree.

I turn mostly wet wood (or partially dried wood when I don't get to it soon enough) and you should seal the ends with Anchorseal or store the fresh cut wood in plastic bags. Since it is already cold for you these could last much of the winter but they won't last through next summer. I would keep them in a garage or shed till you are ready to turn. Norway maple is pretty forgiving with regards to cracks and checking in your fresh turned bowls. I normally turn them down to final thickness (3/16 - 3/8") and haven't had any problems with cracking. This wood also works well when rough turned and then dried. I use the 10% rule and then paint the entire rough turned bowl with Anchorseal and set it aside for a few months. If your tree is as large as mine was, you will have more wood than you will know what to do with. This will be a great opportunity to play and learn. Turn a bowl and if you don't like it, burn it. In fact do this a hundred times and you will become a lot more comfortable with turning wet wood.

Cheers,
    David Gilbert

It is a good time of year to get it as it is cooling down. If it is cut in the summer months, it tends to grey as it dries in the heat.

If you have some outside space, take a few log sections and stand them on end out in the garden and cover the top with a plastic bag. Being in contact with the ground should help start some spalting for late next spring. Leave the pieces 4-6 longer than they are wide to allow for cutting off the ends to remove any checking before you turn the blanks.

As mentioned, the crotched and base section of the trunk can have lots of interest when opened up. It you rough turn a half dozen bowls now, and leave them some place cool for the winter, you should be able to look at finishing them off by next Memorial day. If you do that, return one of the bowls to the tree owner as a thank you for the wood.

Enjoy of turning practice.