Thread: How to "adhere" steel to wood

How to "adhere" steel to wood

Hello All-

After reading the "table saw hold-downs" thread, I finally broke down and bought a couple of the "GripTite" magnetic featherboards. I have been wanting them for awhile now, and after reading your replies, it sold me to buy a few.

Anyways, I have an Incra Fence which uses extruded aluminum for the fence. If I remember correctly, aluminum isn't very magnetic.

So, I decided to build my own fence that will attach to the Incra Fence. My plan is to use a piece of solid hardwood and attach a 3" x 36" piece of steel flat stock to this hardwood. That way, the GripTites have something to grip onto.

Any ideas on what would be the best way to attach the steel to the hardwood? I'd prefer not to have to drill through the steel for screws. Would a strong epoxy work if I roughed up one side of the steel? What about contact cement?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Brad

I asked a very similar question a couple weeks ago...

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21536

I ended up using some 26 gauge steel from Home Depot that I cut with tin snips. The edges weren't great (serated blade), but the edges are hidden. I used poly glue to attach the steel to the plywood. I'm not sure how strong the bond is, but I don't have quite the concerns you do since what I did doesn't need to be a durable.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Dan-

Thanks for the link to your thread. I didn't see it earlier. Guess I need to learn how to use the "search" button.

Your thread had a lot of useful information that I will be able to use.

Thanks.

Brad

For most "mixed" media glue ups, epoxy is the glue of choice for me. I think it is the best. A good two part epoxy.

Keith