Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Weaver...

David Weaver...

Since you are like the resident stone/sharpening guru...AND...since you live in the same state as I...well...would you mind oh so very much if I just saved myself a whole lot of time and effort by just bringing all of my dull tools to you?

Yeah...I'm thinking that it would actually save us BOTH time. Me (for obvious reasons) and you...because then you wouldn't have to take so many hours typing responses to my stupid questions.

Cool? OK. Good. I'll be right over.

I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

it's funny, one that I don't sharpen anything better than anyone who knows how to sharpen stuff, and two, nobody in my neighborhood knows I know how to sharpen anything until....last week my wife had a birthday party for our daughter and someone used a pair of our scissors to cut something, a cheap pair that came in a knife set. They are, however, properly sharpened. She asked my wife "what machine" we use to sharpen our scissors, and my wife started her "my husband is an idiot and sharpens everything in the house speech....".

The next day, one of the party attendees dropped of four pairs of scissors and probably a dozen knives, maybe a couple more than that.

I told her next time that I would show her how to sharpen with a medium stone and a smooth steel so that she can do it. (most of the knives were serrated, though, something nobody has a need for if they can sharpen a knife well - not even for bread). That is the first time the topic ever came up "in real life".

So...if you're ever in the neighborhood with a box full of knives and scissors (just don't bring me scissors with loose rivets that have permanent plastic covers on the rivets).

(If anyone was ever in the neighborhood and wanted a rundown on freehand sharpening that's faster than a guide, uses less steel and produces results just as good, I'd gladly do that. Millerton's only what...4 hours away from a hop skip and a jump from north of the city of PGH? )

I'm real close to PA, In fact I'm probably closer than Harold. Can I stop by with a few saws for lessons
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

After the holiday season sometime. It'd have to be in between naps (not for me, for the kids) since the shop is below their rooms.

In case it wasn't clear, I am joking. I wouldn't presume to invade your house demanding saw sharpening lessons.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I don't want to make a career out of it, but if saw sharpening is a problem, by all means. I think that saw sharpening is primary an experience based competency, though. If you sharpen the saws *and* use them, you get better at it fast.

7. I teach sharpening at the local woodcraft store. It's a bit easier than doing classes at home, and I guess I am a bit leery about having complete strangers in my shop on any kind of regular basis. Woodcraft's shop is small so class size is limited, which is fine by me. Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    In case it wasn't clear, I am joking. I wouldn't presume to invade your house demanding saw sharpening lessons.
    Oh, man! I would!

Well...I wouldn't be "demanding". More like begging.

I would also be sure to bring all of my "David Weaver Fan Club" paraphernalia to impress your wife with just how revered you really are.
    I am never wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Oh, man! I would!

I would also be sure to bring all of my "David Weaver Fan Club" paraphernalia to impress your wife with just how revered you really are.
    Pick me up as you pass the DuBois exit on I-80.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I teach sharpening at the local woodcraft store. It's a bit easier than doing classes at home, and I guess I am a bit leery about having complete strangers in my shop on any kind of regular basis. Woodcraft's shop is small so class size is limited, which is fine by me. Something to think about.
    I tend to take a my way or the highway view (or rather my way or figure it out for yourself if you want to do something different). Thus I don't do it very often. We have a local woodworker's group here that is primarily power tools, and some of the members are VERY accomplished, as in studio furniture accomplished, there's nothing for me to teach or learn there (they talk a lot of power tools and turning). I went there to pick up wood once, and one of the guys said "you should come in and stay for a while" and I told him that I tried to generally build only with hand tools unless I had to make something I don't want to make. When I said "only hand tools", I think his eyes crossed. I pulled a handsaw out of my car so that I could get what I bought (quartersawn beech - go figure) into the car, and it drew a crowd. I think some of the guys thought it was a circus act.

And we lost our woodcraft probably 5 years ago now, so there's really no good venue. Otherwise, I'd limit anyone to be someone I knew fairly well "online". My wife is more suspicious, though, and she'd have veto so she may decide no. If george ever made it up here (not that he'd have any reason to come up here), she knows who he is, and Griggs who has had near misses with timing when he's in town and I am, but that may be about it. (I think I could get tony and harold in, too, if they could wade through the mess)

Tony's down here all the time, anyway.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-12-2014 at 5:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I think I could get tony and harold in...
    Really??? You think you could get me in?

I dunno...My wife says I'm a tad creepy...
    I am never wrong.

Really??? You think you could get me in?

I dunno...My wife says I'm a tad creepy...
    My wife says I'm creepy, too. If you say you're me and burp, she won't know it's not me. Of course, the joke would be on anyone who came down, because there's not really much anyone is going to learn from me...not unless you want to play with my sharpening stones or make a plane (hard to fit the latter in in three hours between naps, though).

I offered to sharpen the scissors of the costume shop in the museum once. They gave me a big bag with about 60 pairs in it!! Eventually I sharpened MOST of them.

They had had some old idiot doing them. His scissors looked like he used a 20 grit stone on them(NO KIDDING!!!!!) and he burned the tips blue at that. I never saw such rough,ragged edges as he made. Why some guys set themselves up as sharpeners I don't know.

There's a guy who sets up his sharpening booth at the farmer's market down town every Saturday. Women show up with knives for him to sharpen. A friend of mine,who I taught to sharpen took out his pocket knife. The guy wanted to sharpen it for him. He said "Nothing doing. I don't want you dulling it on those wheels". When the guy got hold of the knife,he exclaimed "HOW did you get this so sharp!!!"

Oh, man! I would!

Wait a minute... there's David Weaver Fan Club paraphernalia? Where?

I gotta me some.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Entry to the club is demonstrated ownership of a NIB lily white washita, or donation of an anvil to the group
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.