Thread: 2nd Burl

2nd Burl

Wanted to leave the natural edge on top for this piece but uncovered a pretty good crack that looked like it was going to end up right into the tenon so I switched it around. Between finding enough wood to make a tenon because of the sloped burl and getting rid of the crack, probably lost about 2" in height. Can't really complain, the figure in this wood is outstanding. Will make a nice Christmas present next year.
    dcb1.jpgdcb6.jpgdcb7.jpgdcb8.jpgdcb4.jpg
    5"H x 8"D x 4"D

David, it appears that your tenon is touching the bottom of the chuck jaws, if so that is a big NO NO! It greatly enhances the probability of a "rapid dismount" of the turning, so always leave a small gap to avoid such an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    David, it appears that your tenon is touching the bottom of the chuck jaws, if so that is a big NO NO! It greatly enhances the probability of a "rapid dismount" of the turning, so always leave a small gap to avoid such an accident.
    Jamie,Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of keeping the tenon off the bottom of the chuck. Must be the angle of the camera but there was a gap.....very small......but it was there......I triple checked it with every jaw.......thought about shortening it but since there was a gap, didn't.Dave