Thread: When to buy my lathe

When to buy my lathe

After I think about 3-4 years or more of wanting to get a Lathe this maybe the year. As winter sets in I look forward to some time in the wood shop, this is the first year I can think of that I don't have anything lined up in the flat world side of things.

I don't see myself doing anything huge, maybe a bowel or two but think mostly smaller gift type items will be my main stay.

A number of years ago I picked up a used chuck and a handful of lathe tools, its been so long I don't recall what I even bought, I recall the chuck was made in the good old USA however!

I have settled of getting the JET-719200 JWL-1221VS 12 In. x 21 In. Variable Speed Lathe unless one of the more wiser people around here can talk me out if it.

My local wood tool store ACME Tools carries the JET line http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/jet-wood-lathes if I recall they do a 10% deal or toss in some other stuff I most likely don't need on Black Friday.

I would like to keep the cash local if I can and buy from the above but I'm not going to give them an extra $100 either.

With keeping in the spirit of Black Friday should I hold out for a few weeks and see what happens, any good options to order from if I don't pick it up local?

Thanks again everyone,

Jay

End of the year always seems to bring the 10% off Jet/Powermatic. You might try ToolNut. They are well recommended for great prices and a lot of time free shipping (not to mention no sale tax if your not in their home state.)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Jet regularly has 10% off sales. Ask you store about it. If there is a club any where near, also find them. Great for demonstrations at all levels, and you may find a used lathe for cheaper than new.

robo hippy

Thanks all, I recall the 10% the more I think about. Will make a point to keep my eye open for it.

Thanks

Jay

Yeah, Jet/Powermatic will likely do a 10-15% off sale sometime around Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I would ask your local store. It's likely they'll know exactly when it will happen.

15% off Jet and Powermatic at Woodcraft stores end of this month. Check your local store for details; dates will probably be announced next week.

Jay
    Best of luck in your search and purchase of a lathe. I wanted to pass on a couple of my thoughts now that I am in year two with my lathe. I wasn't sure what exactly I would end up turning but one thing I can say, it's addicting. I ended up with a Jet 14-42 and love it, but, as it often happens, would like to go bigger. With the size lathe you are talking about, I would highly suggest looking at craigslist. There seems to be quite a bit in that size and may be a great way to get your first lathe at a great price. I kind of wish I had that thought before I bought new. The other suggestion I would make is maybe get yourself (or have someone give it as a gift) signed up for a wood turning class. I took mine before purchasing my lathe and I must say, It was worth 5x the price. Either way, just my thoughts, and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks Scott, I have been keeping an eye open on CL as well. Have not seen to many lathes that are worth the snot around here to date.

I have been told the 1221vs will be 15 % off November 30

I got a Woodcraft flyer in the mail today that says they're having a 4 day "black friday" sale with 15% off on Powermatic and Jet.

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    I've bought three lathes from Tool Nut and recommend them highly. I had a problem with the last one with delivery--the driver wanted to deliver it at the street and my driveway is 350' long. I called TN and they told me to refuse the order and they would take care of it. The driver came back the next day and not only drove it up my driveway, but he put it in my shop too. Great service.

I have been told the 1221vs will be 15 % off November 30
    I just took delivery of a new 1221VS and paid $799 which was the same price everywhere on the internet.

Jet shows a list price for that lathe of $960. At $799 it calculates to be about a 17% discount so it will be interesting to see if they offer a lower price.

I know in the past when many of the major internet retailers announced 10%-25% off Jet woodworking equipment, the price of the 1221VS never changed.

Hopefully, you will get a better price.

Several vendors have announced a 15% off Jet & Powermatic woodworking tools and 20% off accessories 'Black Friday' sale. Rockler's ad says free shipping direct from manufacturer. On-line they show $799, but I don't think that is the sale price since it lets you put it in the cart, and Packard shows the same price. Fifteen percent off that price would be $679 and quite a savings on shipping.

Tool Nut has free shipping also over $500.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just got my Woodcraft B.F. flyer and they do have a 15% off Jet sale. Also 50% off Jet parallel clamps. That is huge. I may get another pair.

I got my Jet 1642 from Sean at Tool Nut. I'd say now is the time.....

While I agree that price is an important part of a purchase, the on going support that a brick and mortar store provides is also an important part of a purchase. The free demos, the one on one advice (usually good) from talking to salespeople, and the ability to quickly pick up a needed item are all intangibles reflected in the price a local retailer charges.

Like you, I prefer to keep purchases local if the difference isn't to great. If the online price is substantially lower, talk to the local and see what can be done before making the purchase. I paid about $100 + the tax for my 3520b to buy local and would do it again.

The 15% sales are getting less and less common, sounds like it might be time to make it happen.