Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA Glue

CA Glue

I will be needing some CA sooner or later and have these questions:

-Are all CA glues about the same in quality?

-Who sells CA at a reasonable price? The 2nd in command says it is pricey at the drug store.

-When would a turner find a use for a thin version and when is a thicker version needed?

Thanks for comments.

All CAs are not the same in quality. I reccommend Starbond. While CAs are not "cheap", it's reasonable when you buy form them in the 16 oz sizes. They send a bunch of little bottles. Google them and they will pop up. I mostly use very thin, and medium once in a while. It's WAY cheaper than buying those small bottles from the hardware stores.

I'll stay out of the which is best discussion, but in answer to your second question, thin can be used to seal small cracks. It can be used to seal the pith in an end grain vessel. It can be used as a finish. And, in a pinch, it is very good at sealing small cuts instead of going the route of emergency room and stitches.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

You might check the IAP website, (penturners.org). Several vendors there sell CA glue.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Thicker CA is good for filling gaps - such as a minor void in a bowl you're turning. Thin will never fill a space, as it soaks into the wood. I used to use thick (or medium) CA when doing a CA finish on a pen, but have instead switched to super-thin Starbond and the quality of my pens has gone way up.

A good source for Starbond as well as other CA glues is eBay.

I've heard that it's good to store CA in the freezer to extend its life but have never bothered and haven't had to throw any way in recent memory.

Be sure to get some very thin applicator tips so you can put the glue exactly where you want it - I bought some from Ken at http://woodturnerswonders.com/products/ca-glue-tips and have been satisfied.

@Jim. In another thread I said that I just had to throw out a 3/4 full CA glue bottle because it got hard. I also said that I have been buying more than I can use before it dries up. From now on, I'm going to try to make better estimates on how much CA glue I need and when rather than keep larger bottles on hand. YMMV

@Marty. Thanks for the url; I just ordered some. Great price, too.
    Last edited by Stan Smith; 11-14-2014 at 1:43 PM.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    You might check the IAP website, (penturners.org). Several vendors there sell CA glue.
    IAP is now defunct.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Quote Originally Posted by wes murphy View Post
    IAP is now defunct.
    The website is still quite functional and looks to be very active, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

Here's the url for IAP. Great site! I go there almost everyday.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/#community-forums
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Sorry, it must have been another per turning site.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

If you buy large quantities of CA, refrigerate it. Just don't use the kitchen fridge where it might get knocked over. DAHIKT.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

If I were to keep CA glue in the fridge, I would put it in a little open plastic box since we only have 1 fridge.
    Project Salvager

Jim look at EZbond.com. 16 oz bottle is $16.90. But you have to buy $100 worth. My club makes a pooled buy 2-3 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    If I were to keep CA glue in the fridge, I would put it in a little open plastic box since we only have 1 fridge.
    Dont know if it helps or not but I put mine in my "food saver" vacuum bags and store them in the fridge vacuumed down. Have had some for over 2 years and still seems fine.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

The 8 oz bottles of all three CA glues work out best for me but it would depend on how much you use or expect to use.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN