Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CA Glue

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    If you buy large quantities of CA, refrigerate it. Just don't use the kitchen fridge where it might get knocked over. DAHIKT.
    +1 on Thom's comment. I do the same but do have a small fridge in my shop. I keep most of my resins, glues, stabilizers, and CAs in it. I have smaller bottles at two different stations, turning & pen assemble, in the shop. I have had a couple of the smaller bottles of lower use CA, thick, harden up and become unusable but what is in the fridge stays very consistent. One caveat on using a fridge, always let the item warm to room temp before opening, especially CA and Alumilite. Air moisture drawn into a cold bottle can condense and effect the quality of the item. I have heard of guys using a can of dry air to purge their bottles before returning them to the fridge for that reason.

"The best things in life are not things."

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions and the links. Time for me to place an order.

I generally get mine in the 8oz bottles and store in a small bar fridge near the shop. When it's time to use it I let it come to room temperature then decant it into smaller 2oz bottles. Seal them and put all except the one I am using back in the fridge. I've only had one bottle of thin go hard on me and that was because I generally leave the cap off and it was fairly humid in the shop this summer. When I empty one of the small bottles it goes into a jar of acetone to clean it for the next time I want to use it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I agree about keeping it cold. I use a freezer in my garage -- it lasts for years when in the freezer. The other thing I do is keep the small bottles I am using in a wide mouth canning jar. The jar has about 3/8 inch of desiccant on the bottom to absorb moisture from the air. I always keep the canning jar closed. Also I never use lids on the small bottles.
    Note: I also oven dry the desiccant periodically.

Blog Entries
    Just to highlight a point Rick made above- make sure if you refrigerate CA glue that you bring it to room temperature before you open it, because it cures with moisture. An exception is if you take it out, use it real quick, then put it back. The object is to avoid condensation.

I am surprised nobody recommended "Hot Stuff." It's very common in the modelmaking world. They also sell accelerators that make it cure instantly, but beware- it gets really hot if you use the accelerator.

Oh my, that reminds me of a story that I must share. I was building a wood surfboard, which gets built on a jig that is mounted to a building table, so the whole thing is mounted to the table as you build it. I glued up one part, and didn't realize that I squirted glue all over my finger when I put the glue on. The cap gets clogged every now and then, so I use a razor knife to cut part of the tip off so the glue can flow. I managed to cut too much off, and the glue came flowing out. You know what's about to happen, but I didn't just glue myself to the part. Oh no- that would be too simple. I prefer, when I do something stupid, to REALLY do it right. I used spray-on accelerator to accelerate the bond. When I did that, the glue on my hand instantly bonded, which creates enough heat that it will actually start to smoke. There I was, glued to the piece, unable to move, and burning. Remember, the whole thing is mounted to a building table, so I am not able to go anywhere. It left a nice blister on my hand. After the pain went away, I went to reach for my razor knife to cut myself free, and wouldn't you know, it's just a few inches further away than I could reach. Fortunately I was able to use a scrap piece of wood to nudge it into reach. I was in pain, but laughing so hard. I somehow felt like Wile E. Coyote when whatever contraption he makes backfires and leaves him squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    I will be needing some CA sooner or later and have these questions:

-Are all CA glues about the same in quality?
    No, they aren't.

-Who sells CA at a reasonable price? The 2nd in command says it is pricey at the drug store.
    One of the better places to get CA is a busy hobby shop. Modellers of all sorts use a lot of the stuff, which is what you want. CA does have a shelf life, so a vendor with high turnover is a better option than one with low turnover. Keep in mind several things when using it. Aside from the normal concerns with not gluing yourself, there's the matter of sensitivity. Unfortunately, CA sensitivity can easily be "developed." You can do some research on the web about it. Key word is "can" be developed, not everybody does.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.