Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust Deputy

Super Dust Deputy

I have a 1.5 hp single stage (Delta) dust collector. I added a Wynn canister filter and a trash can separator. I have short runs and get decent dust collection with the system, but the filter clogs quickly and reduces suction dramatically. The filter is very tough to unclog without taking off the bag, reaching in from the bottom and moving the pleats. Neither compressed air nor an electric leaf blower directed at the filter do much to unclog it, nor does banging on the outside. Not only is the current process time-consuming, but it is a huge mess. The trash can separator fills much faster than the bag, but I suspect it is missing most of the finer particles and those are clogging the filter. I have two questions that I'd love to get advice about:

1. Will switching from a trash can lid separator to a super dust deputy make a big difference in how fast the pleated filter clogs?
    2. If I get the super dust deputy, can I mount it on the current galvanized garbage can with Oneida's DIY lid plan, or will I need to buy a drum that is more leak-proof?

I may upgrade to a ClearVue or other true cyclone system in the future, but want to keep the costs down for now. Thanks for your advice!

I had the same setup (delta with Wynn filter and trash can separator), and i switched to the super dust deputy (the metal version). A lot more of the chips drop into the bucket with the dust deputy. I assume that the cyclone separator is more efficient at getting smaller particles to drop, and that fewer are getting into the wynn filter. I don't know for sure what's happening to the smaller particles that would clog the Wynn filter, but i know i get hardly any of the larger chips in the bag of the dust collector, whereas before it would fill a lot quicker even with the trash can separator. I find banging the Wynn filter helps well enough to clean it out.

As for your second question, i decided to buy the drum that onieda sells just because of the limited time i had available. I had to build a stand to hold the super dust deputy while i pull the drum off to empty it. you would need something similar even if you stick with the garbage can. I don't see why you can't build a leak proof top, as long as you have a gasket around the edges, a way to clamp it, and silicone sealing the dusty deputy to the top.

I've had that exact set up for a couple years. My SDD is on an aluminum garbage can, big improvement over the trash can separator.

Thank you both for the input. I will be buying the sdd shortly.

I have that setup as well. I bought the 35gal drum with the sdd. The only time chips get in the bag is when I let the drum overfill. My wynn doesnt clog and I dont clean it. I put a little window (bought from mcmaster) in the top of the drum so I can shine a light in to check the level. You can just barely make it out.

sdd.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 11-15-2014 at 2:39 PM.

Great setup, Mark. I have been wondering if I could lift the delta enough to fit a sdd and bin on the stand. What did you use to raise it?

I bought some steel tubes from mcmaster.com where the ID was slighting greater than the OD of the delta tubing. I think the lengths were 3 feet. Of course I also flipped the motor part and put the wynn filter on the top. Its handy to be able to move it around a little when its time to empty the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post

1. Will switching from a trash can lid separator to a super dust deputy make a big difference in how fast the pleated filter clogs?
    2. If I get the super dust deputy, can I mount it on the current galvanized garbage can with Oneida's DIY lid plan, or will I need to buy a drum that is more leak-proof?
    1) Yes, but maybe not as much as you would hope. I have a metal SDD, and it is definitely an improvement, but I expected more and will likely upgrade at some point. I use my SDD with all my machines, including my ROS, and a considerable amount of the fine dust does end up in the collection bin rather than the filter, BUT you have remember to keep enough air going through, especially if you use size reducers. When I use mine with a 2.5" hose on my ROS or other hand held tools, I keep the adjacent 4" blast gate open so the air speed in the pipes doesn't drop too low for the separation to work. Separation is pretty much perfect for the bulky chips and I was able to reclaim the space under the collector by cutting the plastic bag down to just 10-12". Any significant accumulation of dust in that bag pretty much indicates a leak so I keep an eye on that and fix it immediately if it happens.

2) I had mine on a plastic garbage can for a while, but I found it collapsed under suction. Small leaks in your collection bin can dramatically affect separation efficiency, so I decided to build a collection bin out of leftover 1/2" melamine to suit my space after failing to source a short round drum locally. I haven't experienced any adverse effects from switching to a square bin, and my bin is on casters, which is handy. The square bin holds a lot more dust than a round bin of the same width and height. I just don't like how hard it is to empty my current setup because I didn't leave enough clearance to easily detach the lid of the bin from the bottom. The lid is connected to the bin using gravity and little chest clasps, with 3/8" closed cell foam insulation forming the seal. The melamine sides and bottom are nailed rabbet joints sealed with a bead of silicone caulk.

Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. The wall mounting makes cleaning the filter with air difficult, but I accept that in the interest of reclaiming the space. I think I might try and build a flapper mechanism at some point. I currently need to clean my filter thoroughly once or twice a year. I take the canister off completely, set it on the driveway and vacuum out the pleats one by one with a crevice tool on the shop vac, which has been quite effective and doesn't require me to wait for it to dry. It's tedious and takes at least an hour though.

IMG_2403.jpgIMG_3991.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post

I'll muddy the waters here a bit.

Our tools can be split into two categories: Those that generate huge amounts of wood flour, and those that do not. So put belt and drum sanders in the former category, and everything else in the latter.

If you make substantial use of flour-generating machines, you need a cloth bag filter, or to exhaust outside. Or you need a cyclone of such substantial size it probably won't fit in your shop and will be outrageously expensive.

If you don't use a sander much, I think you'll find a separator fitted with one of my baffles will separate pretty much as well as a small cyclone.

I think there are advantages to cyclones. Likely less resistance, don't have to make one yourself, a known quantity.

OTOH, someone sent me a link to DOE research indicating the use of quasi-Thien style separators for final separation (AFTER conventional cyclones). I've always said conventional cyclones will out-separate one of my designs and I'm not saying I've changed my mind. But my certainty or confidence in that belief has slowly been eroded as I've communicated with more and more users and done more reading.

Wow! Thanks for all the excellent advice and suggestions. Lots of good food for thought.

I have an edge sander and a small widebelt sander, and I am having no trouble plugging my filter since I have been paying attention to the seals in my system. Would recommend you use furnace tape on all your pipe joints, where you do not have room for tape, use silicone caulk, and pay attention to your lid and seal to the top of your barrel, I use spring clamps to pinch my lid down, as it has no ring to lock it.

Finally finished my dust collection modifications.

I ran into a few obstacles along the way, mostly as a result of buying the Super Dust Deputy at Woodcraft where they don't carry Oneida's special fittings. I bought and tried a variety of sheet metal, plastic, and rubber fittings before finding something that would fit well. If you buy a Super Dust Deputy, I highly recommend ordering the fittings from Oneida; I just didn't plan ahead and so needed to ad lib rather than wait for shipping.

So far, it is working better than I had hoped. Little to no dust is making it past the SDD, and suction is better than I've seen in a long time (because I cleaned the Wynn canister during the modification process). Many thanks for the advice and design ideas. My set up is an imitation of Mark Carlson's, though it isn't as pretty as his. One thing I really like is that the footprint is no bigger than the dust collector alone, and is smaller than what I had with the garbage can separator. I took the wheels off because I was concerned about it being tippy, but it is still somewhat portable by dragging on my wood floor.

I don't have any flex between the SDD and the garbage can lid, so I had to come up with a method to lift the can to the lid. I made a base with 4 channels on the corners to guide wedges that lift the can. It was quickly cobbled together from 2x4s and cheap plywood, but it does the job well.
    Dust Collector mods.jpg

I am glad you got it all together and are pleased with the results. I too am using the metal trash can, but I cut a hole in the top of the lid and mounted the sdd to that. I like the idea of using the wood spacers under the can. I am planning to connect the sdd to my blower with flex, so I may just leave the can on the floor. But I do need to figure out a way to seal and secure the lid to the can. I put some weatherstipping that i had laying around onto the lid, but it peeled back overnight. I will try again with fresh, and try not to tension it to much when putting it on.

I made my lid from mdf and created a 1/2" channel where it meets the can, which I filled with the weatherstripping. It is working well so far, though lining up the lid and can is a little fussy without a rim on the lid. I may screw on a few registration blocks on the bottom of the lid to make it easier. I used my lathe to turn the lid and create the channel, but it would be at least as easy with a router and shopmade circle cutting jig.

For the best results, I suggest sealing the seams on those garbage cans with a little caulk.

I've run into some cans that are quite tight but others that have enough leakage that they interfere with separation.

The solution has been to throw down a small bead of silicone around the bottom, and another along the side. Just a very tiny bead, it doesn't make much. I then push the silicone into the seam a bit with my finger (I wear a disposable glove).

Over at my forum there have been a few guys building on top of steel cans that found performing this step improved separation quite a bit.