Thread: Yen and Dollar Conversion (For Japanese HT fans) is at 118 yen per dollar

Yen and Dollar Conversion (For Japanese HT fans) is at 118 yen per dollar

Sort of a courtesy message, as I just got notice that my high tech japanese marking gauge has shipped.

If any of you guys are looking to buy hand tools from anywhere in japan, and places where the prices are in yen, the yen's at 117.94 by google's converter as I type this. I thought I was flying high when it was $107 when I ordered.

I made a lot of orders back when the conversion rate was 80 to 1. If I'm doing my figuring right, the conversion improvement has created a 30% discount or so.

Just remember if you're using paypal (fujibato, TFJ, anyone else that takes paypal and lets you buy in yen), do your transaction in yen and use your credit card. Paypal rips you off if you let their converter do the converting and you buy in dollars, they take the credit card margin plus some kind of garbage retail margin that ends up being about 6 or 7%, and credit card only dings you for about 2.5% or so and that's it. (as in, if you use paypal in dollars, they'll only give you about 110 yen per dollar, but your credit card should do it somewhere around 114 or 115, a big difference for nothing more than using the currency selector on web pages.

Just a PSA, more or less. I'm not affiliated with any japanese tool dealers. You guys who have been wanting stuff and are looking to fill your Christmas stockings (or have your wife do it on your behalf, it's a good time to do it).

If there was something at a dollar based dealer (So, MetalMaster-JP, or Japan Tool), I would ask them if they would be willing to deal given that most of their prices are set based on dollar to 80 or 90 yen conversion.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-21-2014 at 9:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Must... Hold... Out. Must... Wait... For Black Friday deal at Veritas. (Read in voice of person straining to hold on, as if hanging from a cliff for dear life.)

Blog Entries
    Oh i've done plenty of damage recently. I'll post pics when they all arrive.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Oh i've done plenty of damage recently. I'll post pics when they all arrive.

Please do so I can share in the misery. I am thinking about building a new bench and needing some bench hardware...also just ordered a new saw from Bontz saw works. I cannot afford Japanese chisels right now, even though I crave them like Oxygen.

PSA = Providing Suffering Abundantly.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I'm so glad I wasted so much money in the past and the urge to buy more things I don't need has partially subsided!! I recognize the torture you guys are going through, though. One look at my disorganized piles and realization of what a pig I really am usually takes the urge to buy more away.

OK, so i've been eyeing some bench chisels for a long time. Currently I have a set of (older) marples blue chips and a full set of AI round back dovetails (O1). I love the AIs but they are a bit light for hard chopping and the marples are what they are.

If one were to recommend a set of general purpose benches from TFJ for $250-300, what would they be? I may go this direction though would likely get more use out of a plow plane...

Not that I should be asking.
    --Yogi Berra

koyamaichi are my choice if cost matters. Well, actually vintage US are my choice if cost really matters. But if you can tolerate $50 a chisel, I'd get koyamaichi chisels in sizes you're going to use. White steel and either red oak, white oak or gumi. Red oak is fine if cost matters, though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    One look at my disorganized piles and realization of what a pig I really am usually takes the urge to buy more away.
    Hey! Do me a favor. Take one more look at your disorganized piles and see if there is anything you are getting rid of...so I can maybe add it to my disorganized piles.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Call it separation anxiety. I do need to dump some stuff. When I do, it'll probably be in the S&S. Stuff like (japanese) chisels, I have two full sets of and some smaller sets, but I just like the two sets. they are different.

With Japan now officially back into Recession,

what other world economies are most likely struggling with their national dept;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyd...ly-much-worse/
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-21-2014 at 6:06 PM.

Many more probably. So buy before our mood turns!

Thanks David, that's just what I was thinking. I'll also get in line should you get treatment for that separation anxiety.

Cheers,
    C
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    With Japan now officially back into Recession,

what other world economies are most likely struggling with their national dept;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyd...ly-much-worse/
    I'm waiting to grab a few (countries, that is) up at auction on the cheap. I intend to start my own empire- The Kingdom of Schweizeria. In Schweizeria every home has a workshop, and every citizen is given an allotment of tools. Our currency will be based on the price of a mint condition Stanley No. 1, ensuring it will always remain strong regardless of inflation.

Thanks...

for the heads up, I just ordered one of these marking gauges from Tools from Japan. Had my eye on it a while back and too good to pass up at the current exchange rates. (It's a Matsui double bladed mortise gauge, listed under 'precision' gauges' on Stu's site, separate from the standard ones.)

Some great deals to be had on Koyamaichi chisels over there too...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Martino; 11-22-2014 at 5:50 PM. Reason: add item info