Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop announces a new jobsite saw...

I wish I had ponied up for a SS sooner since I've now paid for one AND my saw, and no actual SS in my shop. Like pretty much all accidents, had a dumb mistake. problem is TSaws aren't very forgiving of such behavior. I was really lucky, I still have all my fingers. I just have to adjust the way I play guitar now ( a little), but I still can. Lesson well learned...

Regarding where the SS's are made: While I admire the effort to keep all USA-made tools in the shop (or any other product in the home for that matter), but what's ironic is that sending elements of product production offshore to lower overhead (and increase profit margin) is part and parcel of American capitalism. From my patriotic and idealistic side, I don't like that either, but if our capitalist system is an essential element of what makes America a great country, and you (we) love America, then how can you be critical of that business model? The flip side is the revolutionary technology pioneered by Dr. Gass, resulting from his pioneering and entrepreneurial spirit is a quintessentially American technological development born of quintessentially American personality attributes.

BTW: I honestly don't post this to start some big emotional debate. I know there are many strongly held opinions of Sawstop and Steve Gass. Just making an observation...
    Last edited by Bob Coughter; 11-16-2014 at 10:57 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Anything with a casting went offshore long ago.
    Not necessarily true... I have a shop full of Delta equipment purchased new (ie. not 'old iron) that is made in the USA.Up until last year you could still buy a genuine made in the USA Delta Unisaw... and up until about the year 2005 (maybe a few years +/-) you could still get some Delta drill presses, jointers and bandsaw models (most of their X5 and Platinum series) were USA made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hope I never need another job site saw,don't ever see myself doing rake boards and faces and everthing else that comes with reroofing a house.
    I woundnt be surprised if the bosses buy one or two for the crews they have in the field.Its shocking to see how portable saws are used.In the dirt on a hill maybe sitting on the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    Not necessarily true... I have a shop full of Delta equipment purchased new (ie. not 'old iron) that is made in the USA.Up until last year you could still buy a genuine made in the USA Delta Unisaw... and up until about the year 2005 (maybe a few years +/-) you could still get some Delta drill presses, jointers and bandsaw models (most of their X5 and Platinum series) were USA made.
    But, how many of the parts are offshore made?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I wonder if the saw will take a 10" blade. I've seen the SS brake fire. It's quiet exciting, even with 1.75 HP on the significantly heavy contractor saw. I'll be interested to see exactly what form this little saw takes. If it's like everything else SS makes, it will be very, high quality and will have some intelligently designed means to easily transport it. I'm sure it will have some significant heft to it, so I'm really curious what their mobility package will look like. I doubt anyone's going to want to just pick it up. It would be great to have a simple way to get it in and out of vans, and maybe even in and out of pickup trucks. Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but if anyone can figure out an intelligent design, it's them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I wonder if the saw will take a 10" blade. I've seen the SS brake fire. It's quiet exciting, even with 1.75 HP on the significantly heavy contractor saw. I'll be interested to see exactly what form this little saw takes. If it's like everything else SS makes, it will be very, high quality and will have some intelligently designed means to easily transport it. I'm sure it will have some significant heft to it, so I'm really curious what their mobility package will look like. I doubt anyone's going to want to just pick it up. It would be great to have a simple way to get it in and out of vans, and maybe even in and out of pickup trucks. Maybe I'm setting the bar too high, but if anyone can figure out an intelligent design, it's them.
    Yes, it will take a 10" blade. Last Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving), I laid my eyes on a genuine SawStop jobsite saw. A single turn of the wheel raises the blade from below the table to max elevation. The same wheel to control the tilt, using, iirc, a lockout to switch the functionality from blade elevation to blade tilt. The fence stores on the saw, the right side "wing" extends, and it uses an easy rise base that looks like a cross between the mobile base of the SawStop Contractor's Saw and a Bosch gravity rise base. When collapsed, the package can be wheeled about, again pretty much the same as the Bosch Gravity Rise.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

It's now official: http://www.sawstop.com/jobsite

I already got a an email from Tool Nut about it.

I think the price will make it a difficult sell.

FWIW, I'd check out the FWW Shop Talk podcast from two weeks ago.
    There's a lot of interesting info about this saw, and previous lawsuits, right from the respective horses' mouths.

Anyone know anything about that "Quick-Turn elevation?" I don't want to lose the ability to finely adjust my blade height.

I'm all about this saw, though. It will be the first real candidate to replace my Ryobi BT3000.

One full revolution of handle = full blade height raise or lower. I think there's plenty of ability to fine-tune the height within a full 360 degree revolution.

The blade tilt is also another nifty feature: you squeeze some kind of handle, move it, and then release the handle. I'm unsure how this can be micro adjusted though.

The saw is not designed to compete with the entry-level market. It's designed to be the Festool of smaller, stationary saws. Like the larger saws, they are designed to stand on their features, fit, and finish; they aim for more value than 'just' the safety technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    I think the price will make it a difficult sell.
    I think the next 5 homeowners will have a hard time finding the SawStop in their quote

I'm debating between the jobsite saw and the 3 HP PCs. I currently have a portable craftsman with non standard miter slots and wont accept a full dado. I don't want to regret my purchase. I can afford either, but am getting pre buyers remorse about the pcs.

In my experience, the highest risk of injury for me is kickback so I value a fence that tracks dead parallel to the blade over everything else and this is what I will want to know more about. I have wanted a job site saw for the last few years as would be really handy when doing larger outdoor projects. Get tired of dragging materials in and out of my shop just to make some cuts.
    With the Dewalt now having a fence allowing 32" cuts, seems the SS should do this also. Have not been impressed at all with the current Dewalts quality wise. Need to see and play with this new saw to see if it is worth twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I think the next 5 homeowners will have a hard time finding the SawStop in their quote
    I agree.

When you figure you can amortize the saw over multiple jobs, and when workers comp. insurers start offering discounts to contractors that switch-out to these saws, SS will have little trouble selling them.