Thread: Festool saws 55 vs 65

Question Festool saws 55 vs 65

With the sale prices there is only $70 difference between them. Is there an advantage to the smaller saw?

I really HATE getting hit in the face with stuff flying off of the blade of a CS. That is one of the reasons it is about my least favorite tool.

Thanks all,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Chuck,

I own both.

The 55 is ideal for sizing panels.

It is light and nimble and joy to use.

The 65 I use to straighten all of our rough sawn

and doubles as a edge jointer.

Dust collection is wonderful.
    Hope this helps.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

According to Festool specs, the ATF 55 has a cutting depth of 1-15/16". I'd imagine this would be sufficient for most edge jointing as well.

Charles,

What Per said.

Also, just to elaborate, the larger size has more power -1400 vs 1200 watts, more weight 15 lbs. vs 10.6 lbs and greater cutting depth on the rail 2 7/16" vs 1 15/16" and lower rpms - 1800-3800 vs 2100-5100.
    For mostly sheet goods, I recommend the 55.

Bob
    bob m

And speaking about edge jointing, Bob Marino visited shop some months ago carrying some rough boards for edge jointing my way. We had fun and achieved what we wanted - a workable way to joint bad boards using the Festool ATF55 and guide rail. The story is here: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-53.htm

]
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

I have the 55 and it is great for sheet goods. I have used it to edge joint and on 8/4 it works fine you just have to go slow. The ripping blade is essential for that. I like the size.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Unless you really need the little bit if extra cutting depth and power of the ATF65, I'd recommend the lighter ATF55 for more comfort. In other words, if you are planning on using it primarily for sheet goods...you don't need the larger saw. And I can tell you that the ATF55 has enough power to cut to it's full depth, even if you have to go just a little slower or make multiple passes. I did that when doing the cuts to inset my vice on the bench project awhile back. With the guide rail, repeated cuts in maple, increasing the depth of cut with each pass were "dead on" and resulted in no extra blade marks on the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

55 is Tough Stuff

Back before I ever met Bob Marino, I went to the AWFS out on the west coast and saw the two saws side-by-side. For me, it was about the same as when I saw a 24" bandsaw next to a 20" bandsaw for the first time -- I was taken aback by the size of the larger one. Before I saw them side-by-side, I was leaning toward the bigger saw -- bigger is better, right? But I quickly realized that the bigger saw would be overkill for 98% of what I do. Since I bought my 55, I have never wanted for a deeper cut -- so what I thought would have been 98% overkill would thus far have been 100%.

And BTW, I've never wanted for a smoother cut, either. That saw continues to embarrass my Forrest WW-II equipped Unisaw. It's beyond comprehension that a hand-held saw cuts that smoothly. All that and about 5% of the dust of a normal saw. Plus, the whole deal is backed by a good company, which is well-represented by Bob Marino.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas
    And speaking about edge jointing, Bob Marino visited shop some months ago carrying some rough boards for edge jointing my way. We had fun and achieved what we wanted - a workable way to joint bad boards using the Festool ATF55 and guide rail. The story is here: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-53.htm

]
    Hi Bob, How do most people get guide tracks to cut sheet goods lengthwise? Do they buy the one long one or put two together? What are my options here? Thanks Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan,

Most people get the second 55" rail and 2 connectors, rather than the single 106" rail. I think it's more an issue of price/storage/transport vs convenience.

Bob
    bob m

Thank you Bob.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    Alan,

Most people get the second 55" rail and 2 connectors, rather than the single 106" rail. I think it's more an issue of price/storage/transport vs convenience.

Bob
    I'll second that. When I bought my ATF55 from Bob, he recommended that system and it has worked well. Easier to store. Also, easier to use the single guide for smaller pieces.