Thread: Bandsaw Blade Brands, Models, Widths and TPI?

Bandsaw Blade Brands, Models, Widths and TPI?

After thinking about it for awhile (10 years), I've decided to buy a Laguna 14|Twelve (http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaws/1412-Bandsaw) as my first bandsaw. It's the right size and has the right features for my needs - ripping, creating router table templates, some scroll work (nothing tight), and especially resawing.

Now the key question is: W hich blades? The Laguna Resaw King looks like a good option for resawing. Past that, I'm not quite sure what to buy for more general use and for scrolling. Laguna is supposed to make good blades (http://www.lagunatools.com/14-Twelve-Blade-Info) and Lennox has a good reputation. Any other brands I should consider? Recommended widths and TPI?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Dan
    I have a MM16 band saw that I use Starrett made blades. General use blade is a 1/2" 3 tooth skip, does almost all my cutting. Also a 1 1/2" Lennox carbide for large re-saw. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Dan
    I have a MM16 band saw that I use Starrett made blades. General use blade is a 1/2" 3 tooth skip, does almost all my cutting. Also a 1 1/2" Lennox carbide for large re-saw. Hope this helps.
    Thomas,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at the Starrett blades.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

The Lennox Woodmaster CT1.3 carbide tipped has provided me outstanding performance. They don't come in a size (less than an inch) recommended for the Laguna machine you're considering according to the 14-12 blade info guide. I think Lennox makes a carbide tipped blade (Tri-Master?) in the 3/4 inch range, and should be somewhat comparable to the ProKing Laguna blade or the Resaw King (what is the difference) you're looking at. Resaw King appears to have more carbide than my Lennox blade. If nothing else, it will give you the confidence that the pricing you're getting is in the right ball park.

Dan, are you using the Woodpecker? What kind of wood and how many feet do you get out of that?

I have the Laguna ReSaw King (1.25") and am very happy with it. Have tried the Highland Woodworking one and a Lenox, but am happiest with the RK on a MM-16. More important, though, in my saw, was the accounting for blade drift (which could probably be another thread.) Adjusting for that factor is huge, though.

Blog Entries
    2-3 tooth, variable pitch for faster resaw and a 3-4 tooth variable pitch for cleaner resaw has been working for me for many years. Beyond these are your carbide, bi-metal and so forth. The cost benefit of these will depend on your use. I am building individual custom pieces almost constantly and am sometimes surprised when a blade is "done" and it turns out that it has been a year since I started using it yes, I date them when I start using them . Let me qualify that statement with the information that I do use a multitude of blades over a given period and don't claim to get a year of continuous use out of any one blade. However, a steel 2-3 VPC is on the saw more than others since it is my "board making" blade.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-18-2014 at 4:51 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    The Lennox Woodmaster CT1.3 carbide tipped has provided me outstanding performance. They don't come in a size (less than an inch) recommended for the Laguna machine you're considering according to the 14-12 blade info guide. I think Lennox makes a carbide tipped blade (Tri-Master?) in the 3/4 inch range, and should be somewhat comparable to the ProKing Laguna blade or the Resaw King (what is the difference) you're looking at. Resaw King appears to have more carbide than my Lennox blade. If nothing else, it will give you the confidence that the pricing you're getting is in the right ball park.

Dan, are you using the Woodpecker? What kind of wood and how many feet do you get out of that?
    Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at the Lennox Trimaster. And yes, it's good to know that a high-quality carbide blade is pricey.

Regarding the "...the Woodpecker", I'm lost on this. What are you referring to? (I have a Woodpecker router table, but I don't think that's it.)

Regards,

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I have the Laguna ReSaw King (1.25") and am very happy with it. Have tried the Highland Woodworking one and a Lenox, but am happiest with the RK on a MM-16. More important, though, in my saw, was the accounting for blade drift (which could probably be another thread.) Adjusting for that factor is huge, though.
    David,

Good feedback about the RK. I'm curious about your comment, "...was the accounting for blade drift (which could probably be another thread.) Adjusting for that factor is huge, though." Is this an adjustment you made, or something to do with the blade or saw?

Thanks,

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    2-3 tooth, variable pitch for faster resaw and a 3-4 tooth variable pitch for cleaner resaw has been working for me for many years. Beyond these are your carbide, bi-metal and so forth. The cost benefit of these will depend on your use. I am building individual custom pieces almost constantly and am sometimes surprised when a blade is "done" and it turns out that it has been a year since I started using it yes, I date them when I start using them . Let me qualify that statement with the information that I do use a multitude of blades over a given period and don't claim to get a year of continuous use out of any one blade. However, a steel 2-3 VPC is on the saw more than others since it is my "board making" blade.
    Glenn,

Good feedback. I'm curious though... Sounds like you're a very heavy user. If a carbide lasts a lot longer than a steel blade for a heavy user, wouldn't that be more economical?

Thanks,

Dan.

I have lennox, haltbar and tw band saw blades.

Another brand you might take a look at is Supercut. Take their claim of "carbide" with a grain of salt. Their "carbide" blades don't have brazed-on teeth like the Tri-Master, Resaw King and similar. I have their premium gold blades and they do seem to cut better longer than run-of-the-mill carbon steel blades. They also make low-set blades for resawing. I suspect they're similar to Highland Woodworking's Woodslicer. Woodslicers have a rep for good cut quality but short life. I wonder if Supercut's resaw blades are longer lived?