Thread: academic version of corel draw

academic version of corel draw

I am purchasing corel draw and just got off the phone with them. They tell me the academic version is no different from the full version except it cannot be used for commercial purposes, and its not upgradeable. Does anyone have any experience using the academic version for their laser needs? I am an illustrator user myself and will only be designing in illustrator on my mac and importing the file into corel draw on the pc driving the laser. Any suggestions?

My first suggestion is to type "academic corel" into the search box in the upper right corner. That question has been asked many times and the answer is (almost) always the same.

Thanks Gary that was my first attempt however didnt have much come back. This time all is well. Thanks for the info!!

Blog Entries
    Unless they have changed their stance, the academic version also does not include the VB scripting engine, which is required for macros. Maybe not a big deal to some, but a dealbreaker for others. Plus, you can't use the academic version for business purposes, no matter where along the line it's used or what tiny fraction of functionality is being used.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I upgraded to Corel 6 (full version) from the academic version of Corel 5. I specifically asked Corel if my academic version qualified, they said yes and gave instructions on how to make the upgrade. The upgrade purchase was made over the phone with Corel.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I've been using an academic version for years, never had any issues with it. Just follow the rules about not using it for commercial use and you should be fine. I have X5 now and will be upgrading to X7 in the near future. My X5 can run macros.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Blog Entries
    Am I wrong, or don't most of us with lasers use them for commercial purposes? Eventually even I will do that when a laser shows up on my door someday. (won't the mailman be pissed at me when he finds that in his bag huh? Heck with the Sears Catalogs!!! <grin>)

Some of us are hobbiests, certainly, but it seems that the vast majority of us are earning some level of $$ from our lasers? So what we do on Corel and run through the laser for sale counts as commercial use? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Am I wrong, or don't most of us with lasers use them for commercial purposes? Eventually even I will do that when a laser shows up on my door someday. (won't the mailman be pissed at me when he finds that in his bag huh? Heck with the Sears Catalogs!!! <grin>)

Some of us are hobbiests, certainly, but it seems that the vast majority of us are earning some level of $$ from our lasers? So what we do on Corel and run through the laser for sale counts as commercial use? Or am I reading this all wrong?

Dave
    I also thought that most on here used it for commercial use.

i contacted Corel to ask if the full X7 version can be installed on 2 pc's which they said was possible but they can't be used at the same time (something to do with needing an internet connection). However, I was thinking afterwards that one of the pc's I was going to use was going to be stand alone and not connected to the internet so I will have to find out about this unless someone here knows if it can be used without an internet connection?
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

It can.

I concur with Dave's thought as well. Educational means educational.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It can.

I concur with Dave's thought as well. Educational means educational.
    No you do not need an internet connection to run Corel, my shop computer is deliberately not connected.

I interpret the license terms as can be installed on more that one computer but just one copy can be used at a time. I have an Academic Version X6 because I used to teach, but I also own the full registered version of Corel Version 9, does that make me legal?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Legal for version 9
    X6 is still Academic

Blog Entries
    I believe the current licensing terms allow for up to 3 systems with the software installed, but obviously only one can be run at any single time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It still amazes me how so many people try to skirt the EULA just to save a few dollars but expose them selves to a possible lawsuit that would crash what ever business they have.
    Come on people If you can't do it the right way ....don't do it.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Why is it that my legal copy still comes up with a message that it may be a pirated copy I call and they get it sorted out but about a month later I get that stupid message again. Have to call them each time that takes time when I need to do something fast.