Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Dust Sentry Failure

Oneida Dust Sentry Failure

I have an Oneida Dust Sentry drum level sensor for my dust collector. Unfortunately, the infrared sensor failed. I called Oneida but they would not sell the infrared sensor, nor would they give a part number so I could get it myself. After some searching I found a part that works. It is a Banner S18SN6FF100 that cost me $90 from Banner Engineering. Their website is bannerengineering.com.

The S18SN6FF100 is a Fixed Field (4 inch) sensor with NPN output (150 mA).

Just wanted to pass this information along in case anyone has the same problem. You could also make your own drum level sensor with one of these (or similar) infrared sensors, a 24 volt DC power supply, and a LED flasher. The Banner site shows how to hook up the infrared sensor.

Blog Entries
    We've used a few types of Banner proximity sensors at work & they seem to be a good product at a reasonable price.

Robert. Thanks for finding this. I have had 2 of the Oneida Dust Sentry sensors fail. I also called and asked if they would sell just the sensor, and they said that they changed the supplier of the sensor and it would not be compatible. I told them it would be compatible and that it should not matter since it was just wired to an led and that I could wire up the sensor myself. It was like talking to a tree. I also talked with Banner about their sensors but could not figure out which one to use. Now I have 2 broken sensors and 2 working and constantly blinking led lights. By they way, Robert, does dust in the barrel affect the sensor and make it blink all the time? Thanks again.

My Neanderthal approach to this has been to cut a window in the cardboard canister, and every so often , put a flashlight up to it. It works very well on the 3 h.p. Oneida cyclone.

Sorry to bump an old thread but Im considering building my own dust bin level sensor. Anyone know what Oneida may have changed their current sensor to? Is it another products from Banner Engineering? Or should the Banner Engineering one be avoided since thats what Oneida was using and it looks like have switched from seeing as how there were failures?

EDIT 1: yea just looking at the images of the Banner S18SN6FF100 and the latest version of the Oneida sensor (LINK) it appears that they are different but still a Banner product. Attempting to figure out which sensor they are now using.

EDIT 2: from my best guess it looks like they are using either the Banner QS18VN6D or QS18VP6D sensor with the only difference being an NPN or PNP transistor inside making the output a high positive or negative. Going along those lines Im guessing its a high positive and thus the NPN (QS18VN6D) would make more sense in order to trigger an LED strobe or relay to turn on said strobe. This is great as it looks like that sensor is readily available on eBay for $30-$50.

Anyone have a newer style Onieda Dust Bin Sensor and can check the Banner model number on it? It will be rectangular instead of cylindrical.

EDIT 3: Looks like this might be there strobe too: (LINK)

EDIT 4: It has been confirmed that a late 2015 kit from Oneida did in fact use the QS18VP6D sensor which is the PNP transistor output model.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-19-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Excellent Robert - thank you. I have the same issue. In fact i was going to start searching for a sensor, but wasn't sure if my defect is in the sensor or something else. How did you determine it was the sensor?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    Excellent Robert - thank you. I have the same issue. In fact i was going to start searching for a sensor, but wasn't sure if my defect is in the sensor or something else. How did you determine it was the sensor?

Dan
    Not much else it could be really. There isnt much else in the way of circuitry in the whole kit. Also if you want to replace that same sensor check ebay, they are MUCH cheaper.

My Oneida SmartPro unit has the sensor connecting into the control module (board) of the SmartPro. The switch & light combo then connects into the SmartPro via a CAT5 cable. Different architecture than most. Given the obvious quality issues Oneida has with these older sensors, it is likely the culprit. Just hate to buy one if its not.

It's just a proximity sensor, so must be a way to test it independently using power and a multimeter. I'll look at it closer and find a way.

Capture.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    My Oneida SmartPro unit has the sensor connecting into the control module (board) of the SmartPro. The switch & light combo then connects into the SmartPro via a CAT5 cable. Different architecture than most. Given the obvious quality issues Oneida has with these older sensors, it is likely the culprit. Just hate to buy one if its not.

It's just a proximity sensor, so must be a way to test it independently using power and a multimeter. I'll look at it closer and find a way.

Capture.PNG
    Try to find the model number on the sensor and post back what it is. Ill help if I can.

I bought one of these a few years ago, and ran the drum over about 3 out of 5 times. Called Oneida, they said there was an adjustment screw and to turn it all the way up. Still ran the drum over, I gave up, took the senser out and cut a window in front of the hose to the drum. My cyclone is located in my store room. I hang a trouble light in front of the hose when I plane up lumber, and the light helps show as the hose fills up. It fills quickly, you have to pay attention or it will run over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I bought one of these a few years ago, and ran the drum over about 3 out of 5 times. Called Oneida, they said there was an adjustment screw and to turn it all the way up. Still ran the drum over, I gave up, took the senser out and cut a window in front of the hose to the drum. My cyclone is located in my store room. I hang a trouble light in front of the hose when I plane up lumber, and the light helps show as the hose fills up. It fills quickly, you have to pay attention or it will run over.
    Which version of the sensor did yours have? Was it cylindrical or rectangular?

Here is a picture of my sensor, purchased Aug/Sept '15. Hope this helps. The numbers on top read: 1502C, insp208.
    IMG_0503.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Henderson View Post
    Here is a picture of my sensor, purchased Aug/Sept '15. Hope this helps. The numbers on top read: 1502C, insp208.
    IMG_0503.jpg
    That is definitely the newer/current sensor. Sadly those numbers wont confirm what model it is though. The model number for these sensors is usually on the sides. Is there anything on the other side? Oneida may have removed it too. It might be just a sticker.

The other side (far side) was not easy to get to... but here's what I found. "QS18VP6D", with a smaller "10-30VDC" underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Henderson View Post
    The other side (far side) was not easy to get to... but here's what I found. "QS18VP6D", with a smaller "10-30VDC" underneath.
    Google is your friend.

http://www.bannerengineering.com/en-.../partref/61654

http://info.bannerengineering.com/cs...139709_pdf.pdf

Does this look about right, Matthew?