Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trend faceshield respirator

Hi Roger,

Thanks for you comments but the first thing I state is I wear a full face shield. With this, I also wear an N95 3M 8211 dust filter. My face and lungs are protected with my set up. I'm not sure why you posted the long thoughts on safety. The question is why should I pay $400 to get the Trend set up versus what I do now.

Cheers, Neil

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

2. Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bosdet View Post
    Hi Roger,

Thanks for you comments but the first thing I state is I wear a full face shield. With this, I also wear an N95 3M 8211 dust filter. My face and lungs are protected with my set up. I'm not sure why you posted the long thoughts on safety. The question is why should I pay $400 to get the Trend set up versus what I do now.

Cheers, Neil
    I acknowledged your wearing of the faceshield.......I applaud your effort in safety! Threads like this one are read by newbies in turning and veterans alike, so the safety info was basically for others who might be learning at this time. As far as the "why" of spending $400 on one of these PAPR units, that is entirely personal preference and my point of one unit meeting both respiratory and impact requirements is a value judgment any turner has to consider. For you personally, it sounds like you are happy with your choice, and that is as I mentioned a fairly effective combination.......no quarrel from me!

I know that a NIOSH 95 rated dust mask is a good filter. I also know that getting dust mask to fit some faces correctly can be problematic and also cause fogging of glasses for some users, as was my case, but the PAPR unit allows for fresh filtered air, no fogging and impact protection of the face and head area. Where you may get a good fit on a dust mask, myself and many others have had issues with a good fit and the PAPR devices are better for us.

Again, no argument at all, just the experience of a number of us who use a PAPR device.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I acknowledged your wearing of the faceshield.......I applaud your effort in safety! Threads like this one are read by newbies in turning and veterans alike, so the safety info was basically for others who might be learning at this time. As far as the "why" of spending $400 on one of these PAPR units, that is entirely personal preference and my point of one unit meeting both respiratory and impact requirements is a value judgment any turner has to consider. For you personally, it sounds like you are happy with your choice, and that is as I mentioned a fairly effective combination.......no quarrel from me!

I know that a NIOSH 95 rated dust mask is a good filter. I also know that getting dust mask to fit some faces correctly can be problematic and also cause fogging of glasses for some users, as was my case, but the PAPR unit allows for fresh filtered air, no fogging and impact protection of the face and head area. Where you may get a good fit on a dust mask, myself and many others have had issues with a good fit and the PAPR devices are better for us.

Again, no argument at all, just the experience of a number of us who use a PAPR device.
    Thanks for the noob reference Roger I am, and I do appreciate the extra info. I've been turning for almost a year now, and having recently had a bowl explode on the lathe (without injury, thankfully) I'm upgrading from safety glasses to a full face shield. I'm also upgrading from cheap, paper masks to a 3M respirator. However, Dennis Peacock's shop is the only one I've been in that had a whole-shop dust collection system and I was impressed by how well it worked, but I didn't get to use his lathe to see how well it collected dust there. My question is, are there advantages to the Trend unit over a dust collection system? Would the use of one negate the need for the other?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    Thanks for the noob reference Roger I am, and I do appreciate the extra info. I've been turning for almost a year now, and having recently had a bowl explode on the lathe (without injury, thankfully) I'm upgrading from safety glasses to a full face shield. I'm also upgrading from cheap, paper masks to a 3M respirator. However, Dennis Peacock's shop is the only one I've been in that had a whole-shop dust collection system and I was impressed by how well it worked, but I didn't get to use his lathe to see how well it collected dust there. My question is, are there advantages to the Trend unit over a dust collection system? Would the use of one negate the need for the other?
    Hi Wes..........I use both a Trend and have a dust collection system. The dust collector will not get all the dust, especially when doing cuts on wood, because you likely will have to have the dust port far enough away from the cut for clearance of the piece being worked on. Sanding dust is different, as a lot of times you can move the intake port close enough to catch most of the dust because you do not have the tools and rest in the way when sanding.

That being said, having clean filtered air at the ready point of your breath will keep your lungs and sinuses clear. Most collectors allow some very fine dust back into the shop, so that extra measure of filtration at the source of your breath is a bit of extra insurance against what gets us wood workers in the end.....fine dust particulates that build up in your lungs and can cause cancer with long term exposure.

I also use an overhead air cleaner for the ambient air, so I have 3 measures of defense.......Trend, dust collector and overhead cleaner. I don't know that I can do any better in my present situation, but when I am able to build a new and more spacious shop sometime in the future I also plan to put in an explosion proof exhaust fan just to keep air movement flowing to bring in fresh outside air and exhaust any dust laden air. That may sound like overkill to many, but I have almost died twice with pneumonia and serious complications from it, and have had more than my share of sinus infections over the years........hopefully with age comes wisdom and I can protect myself in ways that I used to not be aware of, or could afford at the time!

Roger, what is the sense of paying $400 for a paper face shield? Seriously, how can you even see through it? Or is this PAPR not paper???? If it isn't paper, then what is PAPR?

(getting goofy in order to exceed the minimum post length. Original post was simply "PAPR???")
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Roger, what is the sense of paying $400 for a paper face shield? Seriously, how can you even see through it? Or is this PAPR not paper???? If it isn't paper, then what is PAPR?

(getting goofy in order to exceed the minimum post length. Original post was simply "PAPR???")
    This is an air powered respirator! As you can see in the pic............you CAN see through it, and it supplies filtered air and protects the face and head area from flying debris. It is a "POWERED AIR PURIFYING RESPIRATOR" [PAPR]

Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.