Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Festool track saw (55 or 75)

Which Festool track saw (55 or 75)

It's time to retire my old stand by circular saw which I predominately use for cutting down sheet goods with a homemade track. I bought my first Festool product (Domino) earlier this year and use it much more than anticipated.

I'm leaning toward the 55 as I rarely need to cut more than an 1-1/2" thick material, for example trimming down doors. 99% of the time it'll be used to cut down 3/4" sheet goods. Looking for input from others. Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?

Also would like to know what accessories I should strongly consider. I tend to buy tools when needed so I thought the 55" track would be a sufficient start.

Thanks,
    Wes

I bought the 75 and find it (a bit) big. The TS55 is 4 pounds lighter. Also the 75 needs slightly longer tracks than the 55. So if you don't need the 75's depth of cut save some weight, save some bucks.

A long track is handy for ripping panels, there's also parallel guides for repeated rips (I went with a third party set, not Festools).

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    It's time to retire my old stand by circular saw which I predominately use for cutting down sheet goods with a homemade track. I bought my first Festool product (Domino) earlier this year and use it much more than anticipated.

I'm leaning toward the 55 as I rarely need to cut more than an 1-1/2" thick material, for example trimming down doors. 99% of the time it'll be used to cut down 3/4" sheet goods. Looking for input from others. Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?

Also would like to know what accessories I should strongly consider. I tend to buy tools when needed so I thought the 55" track would be a sufficient start.

Thanks,
    Wes

I think there is your answer. 99% of the time the 75 will be too big and the 55 will be just the right saw. Cutting doors (solid oak - I would likely do in 2 steps. No big deal) and rips in 5/4 stock is a bit slower with the 55 but with the right blade I have never not been able to cut what I intended with the TS55.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I think of the 55 as optimized for a panel saw, and the 75 as optimized for solid lumber. Lumber operations include straight-lining roughsawn stock, and may include thicker material. Processing panels generally means 3/4" stock, and the lighter weight of the 55 is good. The last time I looked, Festool ships the 55 with a plywood blade -- 60? teeth and negative hook angle -- and the 75 with a rip blade -- maybe 24 teeth with a positive hook angle.

If you're going to do a lot of plywood work, I recommend a long track -- 105" I think. Search back a week or two on this forum for a longish thread about whether to buy a long track.

In my case I got the TS55 because I don't cut anything thicker than 1" or at least not yet. I would also get the 75" rail instead of the 55" that comes with the TS55 if you cut 5x5 baltic birch plywood. Some dealer will exchange it plus the difference in cost. If you do a lot of plywood it's worth it get the 115" rail instead of the 105" so you don't have to be careful laying down the rail when ripping 8' plywood. If you only rip 8' long once in awhile then I would get the 75" and a 55" holy rail instead.
    Mike

+1 on the TS55. Rarely had a need for anything bigger.

TS55 is a nice size and light as well.
    Michael

I pondered this decision and got the 75. Four more pounds isn't really gonna kill me and I'm sliding it on a track not lifting it, so added weight = added stability. It's first job was straight lining rough cut lumber slabs that would have been too thick for the 55. It handles just as easily on sheet goods. Also got the 115" track. No regrets. If you are leaning toward the 55, you won't have any regrets either.

Is there a reason or advantage to go with the bigger saw?
    I have the TS55EQ.
    It does just fine cutting a single layer of 3/4" ply, but, not so much when I cut two layers of 3/4" at once.
    There's a lot of times, like when I make cabinets, when it's nice to cut both sides to size at the same time.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have the TS55, and use it for most everything. Never felt shorted by not getting the 75. You will love it!

I have the 55 and haven't had any situations where I wanted a deeper cut.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the T75 and have used it extensively in the past two years (I mean LOTS). I first had T55 and it wasn't doing the job for me. I was cutting (straight ripping) 8/4 maple and even T75 struggles sometimes. If you are doing only plywood sheets T55 is good enough but if you see yourself using for solid wood lumber thicker than 1" then consider the bigger one.
    FYI the Makita track works fine with Festool, i have a 118" one that is less than half the price of festool.

I have both and vastly prefer the 55 for all the tasks it can do. That said, I bought the 75 to do some straight line rips on very thick slabs...

I'd suggest starting with the 55, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    I have the 55 and often wish I would have gone for the 75. I will probably ebay mine at some point and get the 75. 55 is fine through 3/4 material, but anything heavier and I wish it had more power.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have an older equivalent of the 55 and rarely, if ever, have I felt the need for a bigger blade for what I use the track saw for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Had the 55 and traded up to the 75. Most days I miss the 55 but my latest project has been working with reclaimed hickory from a barn and the 55 would have been just a bit shy for my needs. If working almost exclusively in ply, the 55 hands down.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't