Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type of wood??

Butternut is most likely correct. The "mountain peaks" in the cathedral grain on the flat sawn face is characteristic of Juglans cinerea. Excellent end grain shots too! American Chestnut is a possibilty as well
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Butternut is a very good guess, dead ringer for it. I just subbed on a butlers pantry all in butternut, looks just like your photos. Dents just by looking at it.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Blog Entries
    Looks like this sample of butternut I found with Googlebutternut-200x200.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Don, the end grain seems more semi ring porous which makes me think it is butternut. But I want to find a rift sawn or more quarter sawn board and look at that end grain to see if I can get a better straight layer look vs the arched look i got with that perticular board in the picture. Either way, it's gorgeous lumber that I got for a very good deal. I would just like to know what type of wood I'm using. I bought it all rough sawn stacked in a barn for over 30 years, probably much longer. I would love to find out it's chestnut, but it seems unlikely. I may take a board to a local mill to see if they can confirm my guess.

Nate, if you want a positive ID you could always send a sample to the Forest Products Laboratory.

It is butternut. The pore pattern is semi-ring porous, where the pore size gradually changes in size through the annual growth ring instead of one distince line of large pores and one distinct line of small pores. The two distinct lines of pore sizes is what is seen in oak, ash, elm, sassafras, and mulberry, among others. The gradual change in pore size from large earlywood pores to small latewood pores is seen in black walnut, butternut, and persimmon.