Thread: Planer jumps out of gear

Planer jumps out of gear

My Powermatic 15 planer is about 10 years old, made just before the helical head versions arrived. When I plane wide or hard stock the feed rollers jump out of gear if I am using the low speed. This does not occur during high speed planing. If I hold the lever while under load there is no problem. Any ideas?

Low lube oil and/or worn out gears would be my first check...........Rod.

I have seen bungee cords used to keep them engaged, seems to be a common problem.

Had a Parks planer that used to do the same thing, and it was only 1 speed. I just held my hand on the lever. You may want to go over to the OWWM forum and check with the knowledgeable folks over there. This site only deals with old machinery.

Sorry to say but I bet that the small spur gear is most likely worn out. You will need to open the gear box to see. I have the same problem with a Delta 15", but at least you can still get parts for your Powermatic.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    Sorry to say but I bet that the small spur gear is most likely worn out. You will need to open the gear box to see. I have the same problem with a Delta 15", but at least you can still get parts for your Powermatic.
    David
    Same problem years ago with the Delta- small pinion gear was buggered- hard to shift gears and would sometimes pop out of gear.