Thread: Rosetter Cutters - Has anyone used then in their drill press?

Rosetter Cutters - Has anyone used then in their drill press?

I am considering purchasing one for a project I am working on and am wondering if anyone on SMC has used one to make some rosettes? I know they are a little pricey ~$60 for one.

I would be making them in red oak on a post I am making for a bath remodel.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I just bought and used a rosette cutter for the first time on a recent project. I was very happy with the results. Make sure the work piece is clamped down securely while you are cutting and apply very light pressure during the cut.

Where did you buy yours Clay? What size cutter did you get?

Thanks Clay.
    George

Drill press is probably going to be too slow for oak. Had the best luck with an aluminum corg head made for doing rosetts.
    cant remember where we bought it. Schmidt? Used it with a variable speed router on the lower speed end.

Not a problem!
    Hartville Hdw. had one on closeout a few years ago & I picked it up for ~ $30.00.

I've used it often in my piece of junk GMC drill press making rosettes out of red oak.
    You're welcome to borrow mine if all you need to do is make a couple.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I used one of these http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...es/rosette.htm Did a god job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Not a problem!
    Hartville Hdw. had one on closeout a few years ago & I picked it up for ~ $30.00.

I've used it often in my piece of junk GMC drill press making rosettes out of red oak.
    You're welcome to borrow mine if all you need to do is make a couple.
    Thanks for the offer Rich. I purchased some plinth blocks to use on the vanity and as I thought about it I need to match the pattern so finding a cutter will be difficult so I have pretty much given up on putting rosettes on the post.
    George

Blog Entries
    Make sure your drill press quill does not have any slop in the gearing to raise/lower it. If there is too much free play the cutter will chatter as it hits hard and soft areas in the grain.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can use an adjustable circle cutter, just grind the head to different shape than it is. I made small wooden car wheels using one, I made up several cutters using my Dremel to create special shaped cutters.

I bought mine from MLCS same as Marvin.