Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Design Reflection

Shop Design Reflection

After 20+ years of working out of ½ of a 2 car garage and many years of dreaming and planning, I was blessed to be able to finally build a detached shop in late 2010. It has added to my woodworking experience in so many ways that it’s hard for me to quantify. But now that I’ve had a chance to live with it for 4 years, I wanted to look at some of my decisions with a better sense of perspective. I know that many (most?) of us are constantly tweaking our shops to make them “better”. But I’ve learned that the definition of “better” for me has changed over time and continues to evolve. So it is in that spirit that I share my shop design reflection. In no particular order, I’ve divided elements into 2 groups; things I’d do again and things I’d either not do or do differently. So without further ado, here’s my list:

Things I’d do again

1. ½ Bathroom with utility sink. I love not having to slog through the snow in the winter to the house to use the bathroom as well as being able to clean brushes in the shop.
    2. 10 gallon electric water heater. Honestly, I was on the fence about putting this in, but it’s nice to have hot water to wash hands and clean brushes and other finishing equipment. It’s also cheap to run.
    3. Keeping the large tools mobile with storage along the walls and limiting the fixed location tools/benches. I learned in the garage to keep everything mobile as much as possible and to simply roll things out like the planer, jointer, etc. when I need to use them. This allows me to preserve as much open floor space as possible for assembly, breaking down plywood, etc. Having said this, I do have my cabinet saw basically fixed in the middle of the shop.
    4. I divided the space into 2 main areas. A larger main shop area and a smaller separate storage/ finishing/ equipment room.
    5. As previously mentioned, a centrally located cabinet saw with floor outlet and out feed table. It's hooked to a dust collector through 6" lines routed overhead.
    6. Again, large open areas at front and rear of main shop area to provide flexible usage space.
    7. Vertical plywood storage area adjacent to one open area to allow for roughing out panels.
    8. Outside “porch” with outlets – I usually move miter saw outside and create dust out there vs. in the shop. It’s also nice to sharpen lawn mower blades with a grinder outside.
    9. Interior walls that are 8’ at the perimeter but with a vaulted ceiling – the standard 8’ walls are cheaper and easier to install and finish, but the vaulted ceiling provides ability to flip sheets of plywood/long boards easily.
    10. Overhead outlets for cord reels.
    11. Overhead air reel fed by snap lock flexible air system.
    12. Windows on one (west) side only provides adequate light. No windows on the east which allows for more flexible storage.
    13. Mix of horizontal and vertical wood storage allows for a good mix of storage vs. quick access.
    14. Dedicated bench drawers for various “themes” (sharpening, screws, jigs, gluing, router bits, etc.) makes it easy to keep things organized. Also, I have no shelves in main work area to reduce surface area to collect dust.
    15. Sawdust colored floor provides a cleaner look (even when it needs a good sweeping!).
    16. T8 florescent lights and lots of them, especially in the main shop area.
    17. Outward opening French doors at each end of shop allow easy movement of sheet goods, equipment, projects, etc.
    18. High number of 110v outlets.
    19. Main shop space is 20 x 30 which is surprisingly adequate for what I do (for now!).
    20. Natural gas forced air furnace is cheap to run and allows me to get the shop from 45 to 60 pretty quickly in the winter. Keeping the shop at 45 in the winter is very economical when I’m not out there. I did add an additional filter over the cold air return from the main shop area for extra dust protection for the system. I also have a central AC system which is nice on the humid summer days here in southern Ohio.

Things I’d change or not do

1. The concrete stain on floor isn’t as durable as I’d hoped as it tends to mar easily. Also, rubber anti-fatigue mats tend to stick to the floor and leave residue behind for some reason. I would use a different finish but of the same/similar color it I had to do it again.
    2. The skylights (x2) don’t add as much extra light as intended. One unexpected benefit is that I’ve found that I like to hear the rain on the skylight glass if I happen to be in the shop while it’s raining. But it’s not worth what I paid for them.
    3. Add down spouts at all 4 corners of shop vs. just at one end. I’ve retrofitted one additional downspout at one corner on the back side so I have 3 of 4 corners covered. (The remaining corner seems to drain OK now.)
    4. The 220v outlets are concentrated in one corner of shop except for one in the equipment room for my air compressor. I haven’t had too much of a need yet, but I would scatter a couple more around just to allow even more flexibility in the future.
    5. Add in a cyclone upstream of my dust collector which I may still do. Coming from a garage, I just didn’t have room back then and didn’t really think about this ahead of time.

I provide this list as a possible starting point for those interested in setting up a shop or changing an existing one. Again, the things that work for me are the result of over 20 years of experience working out of half of a 2 car garage. They may or may not work for you as shop layout and preferences are a highly personal thing. So take the lessons from my list that you like and adapt them to your own needs! But most of all, don’t forget the shop and tools, in whatever form they may take, are just a means to the end…enjoyable woodworking!

Take care.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for taking the time to share that! i'm in the early phases of planning a shop, and advice like this is hard to find.

Beautiful shop BTW!

Thanks for the insight. I am collecting ideas and best practices for a new shop. The tiny text did make me put on my glasses though.

Charlie, thanks for sharing this! Great info! I find it very interesting to see how other people set up shop. Question... does the left hand duct coming down to your TS ever get in the way?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Great list Charlie.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I am collecting ideas and best practices for a new shop. The tiny text did make me put on my glasses though.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I cheated and wrote it in Word then pasted it in. I should have enlarged it before I submitted.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Charlie, thanks for sharing this! Great info! I find it very interesting to see how other people set up shop. Question... does the left hand duct coming down to your TS ever get in the way?
    Good question Jesse. I think I have had 2 occasions over the 4 years where I've needed to remove the flex line coming down from the PVC due to something being too wide. But it's just connected with hose clamps, so it's a very quick thing to do.

Charlie

Great looking shop, Charlie! I live near Dayton, OH and would love you see your place in person some day. I have a 24x32 Pole Barn that I'm slowly converting to a dedicated woodshop and I really like some of your idea!

Thanks for sharing,

Steve G.

Been thinking about Charlies great list, and I would like to add a few items to it.

Additional things that worked in my shop include:

WINDOWS: Like Charlie, I have a porch along the side (south facing). I put lots of windows there to gain light, but they are shaded from the SoCal sun, to avoid heat gain. Double pane, low E. My north facing wall has no windows, which gives me a lot of wall space for storage. Skylights give me light.

SKYLIGHTS: I put several on the north facing gable, and get lots of light, without much heat gain, because the sun does not shine directly on them.

DOOR PLACEMENT: Try to avoid putting doors in corners of the building. My walk in door is 4' from the wall, allowing useable space behind it. My single roll up garage door is 9' from a wall, which gives me a great place for my plywood and lumber rack. Ply slides in on the 8' side, leaving shelf space for boards above, and it is always accessible unless the door is blocked.

ELECT. PANEL: You always need access. Mine is behind the hinge side of the walk in door in that 4' space, with the compressor below. This does not waste useable wall space.

STORAGE BINS: I have two shelf units on wheels with storage bins. I can move them around easily. They are really handy for hardware, plumbing fittings, etc. Got them at Sams Club. Since they are portable, I also hang 4' clamps on the backside, and just pull out the corner to access them.

Hope these tips are of use.

Rick P

Blog Entries
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing and starting the conversation. It is interesting to note how people do things differently. This is why there is no one right answer to so many of the things discussed on the forums. An example is that the right side of my tablesaw is "no man's land" (where all my electrical and dust collection pipes run) whereas I see the left side is yours. Another example is router tables built into the tablesaw in such a way as to require that you reach over the saw to use them as opposed to standing in front of the cutter like on a shaper. The differences in how we do things is what adds so much value to these conversations. What is perfect for one is a non-starter for another but, most of use have some common ground and overlap so (pardon the cliche) its all good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing and starting the conversation. It is interesting to note how people do things differently. This is why there is no one right answer to so many of the things discussed on the forums. An example is that the right side of my tablesaw is "no man's land" (where all my electrical and dust collection pipes run) whereas I see the left side is yours. Another example is router tables built into the tablesaw in such a way as to require that you reach over the saw to use them as opposed to standing in front of the cutter like on a shaper. The differences in how we do things is what adds so much value to these conversations. What is perfect for one is a non-starter for another but, most of use have some common ground and overlap so (pardon the cliche) its all good.
    Some the same and some different. I based my new shop on what my previous shop had and improved in the areas I felt my old shop was lacking. My new shop is 30 X 50'.

WINDOWS: I took a different approach, I put windows in the east, west, and north. My previous shop 30 X 56 did not have any windows. I will give up the 32" wall space for the light and being able to look outside.

DOORS: I installed two overhead doors, one 16 X 10 and one 8 X 7. Previously I had a shed for my lawn equipment and Gator. Somewhat downsizing and not wanting another building I use the 8 X 7 door for that equipment. I am building a wall 8' tall separating the shop, with the end open. I can move the lawn equipment out and use this space as a tempoary finishing room.

ELECTRIC: I have easy access and space for additional power. I ran my electric in conduit on the outside of my walls. Not pretty, but gives me access and from my previous shop the outlets were a source of cold air into the shop. I did the outside outlets and the 110V drops. I also put in one 220V drop for my table saw and can use this for my J/P when I roll it out.

HEAT: I bit the $$ bullet and put in hot water radiant heat. My previous shop had propane overhead, but my feet always got cold. This limits me to window ac if I want ac. I would do it again.

CEILING: I previously had 10' ceiling ( to rafters ). This time I did 12'. I utilize the space with shelving in much of the area. This time I also installed a drop ceiling that I believes helps with the heat and I really like the look of it.

1/2 BATH: I did put in the 1/2 bath and laundry sink. Don't have the water heater yet. Gave up some space but worth it.

What would I do different, I don't know. I haven't completed this shop yet. I just finished the bathroom. Up next is the wall between the shop and lawn equipment. Then the dust collection/cyclone set up. This is my last shop and really like it, just wish I was finished.

Only thing I would add is to

1) Put some outlets on the ceiling if possible... The shop air cleaner plugs nicely into the outlet the contractor installed for the roll-up door

2) Install a Rennai water heater... If you have natural gas, I think these are a no brainer for a shop... They are expensive (something like $1200 for the model I purchased), but you aren't paying to keep a tank of water hot only to use it once or twice a week... I actually have a full bath and guest room upstairs of my shop, so having the unlimited supply of hot water is awesome, and I believe it will easily pay for itself in gained efficiency...

Mike

Fantastic! Ditto on ceiling outlet, mine is connected to a timer (used for bathroom exhaust fan/heat) and air cleaner is plugged into that outlet. when I leave the shop I turn it on and it runs from 10-40 minutes, depending on how far I crank the dial
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

Cool thread,thanks for posting.

One thing that pops up here from time to time is.....my cabinet/contractor buds bust on me for being so OCD about our shop here.I'll usually acquiesce and agree......which has proven time and time again to be just plain wrong.Meaning;if I had to point at the things that could've/should've been different,it is we should have taken MORE time to make it perfect.Obviously,we'll never achieve "perfection"....but dang it,when you consider the money lost futzin around with less than ideal conditions/equip?I think that's where my friends lose it......they settle.

So,having looked at the above,what works here day in and day out,thatis absolutely #1...is our loading dock.I used it today.

#2 is a big honkin spraybooth...the mistake here,and I'll plead ignorance is make up air.I just never gave it enough thought?

#3 would be "support" systems...translate that to areas like welding equip(which we now have out the wazoo,but it was "late" to the party),machine shop and sheet metal in that order.

#4 as mentioned,wood floor.I hate concrete with a passion....take that to the umpteenth degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    Cool thread,thanks for posting.<snip>
    So,having looked at the above,what works here day in and day out,thatis absolutely #1...is our loading dock.I used it today.

#2 is a big honkin spraybooth...the mistake here,and I'll plead ignorance is make up air.I just never gave it enough thought?

#3 would be "support" systems...translate that to areas like welding equip(which we now have out the wazoo,but it was "late" to the party),machine shop and sheet metal in that order.

#4 as mentioned,wood floor.I hate concrete with a passion....take that to the umpteenth degree.
    Good thread -
    About a year and a half ago, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-ft&highlight= , I found this forum and have paid great attention to various workshop builds.

Point #3 stands out to me especially. I've "support systems" I didn't imagine, I need an electrical hardware section. Need welders for farm equipment to support my logging to support my woodworking. I'm trying to stay out of making a machine shop.

I see a need to set aside an area for a "spray booth", but how big? I'm going to need a kiln.

Sometimes I lay awake and think I'd be better off just buying lumber from Lowes or a good lumberyard, but then I think where's the adventure in that.

Now a dedicated loading dock would be nice
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves