Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
Mike,

There are several different extensions that will generate cut lists from your SketchUp model. The one I like is called simply CutList. You can get it from the Extension Warehouse. Access the Warehouse directly in SketchUp and it will automatically install it when you click the button.

CutList does not have a facility for taking grain direction into account. The longest dimension is always assumed to be the length. At least in my experience, there aren't many parts where that is incorrect. There are some other extensions that can generate cut lists. Joe Zeh has one. I played with it for awhile but found it much too complicated for my liking. It does seem to be good for things like kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Although I do some kitchen design and detail the cabinets for plans, the majority of my SketchUp work is more one off stuff and the much simpler CutList works just fine. If you want to see a little demo of it, I did a video you can access here.
Thanks Dave. I just ordered the SU for Woodworker's : The Basics from FWW. I hope it isn't TOO basic. Since I've read conflicting information on whether SU will do cutlists I asked. Great to hear that it's possible with an extension. I'll check out the link you provided but first I've got to go thru "The Basics". ;-)

Mike