Thread: New Ridgid 14" bandsaw.

New Ridgid 14" bandsaw.

Got an advertisement today on a new Ridgid 14" Bandsaw.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-14...stomer_reviews

First thing I noticed, does it take a riser block? does not look like it but not sure.
    It advertises a 9" cutting height vs just 6" on other 14" saws.
    I am in the market for a new bandsaw but want something bigger so this model will not be on my list.

Thought I would post this so members who have experience with a 14" saw can post the pro and cons they see with this model.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That's a nice price point and 9" resaw capacity is attractive. If it really takes a 3/4" blade, it could be a contenda... I'd look closely at the lower guides/thrust and how easy they are to adjust. It's not clear from the pictures. Also, while they claim 2 1/2" and 4" DC compatibility, the position of the port means that it's likely to have pretty small opening. I had one 14" BS with a port in that location and it did a very poor job of DC. I made some mods and that helped but a lot of dust gets into the lower wheel area. Check the built in wheels to see just how stable the unit is - BSs are a bit top heavy so a stable base is important. I'd also look closely at the tensioner.

Something that I am a bit confused about is how they get 9" resaw with 93.5" blade. The geometry of a 14" BS with a 93.5" blade is pretty fixed. It looks like the upper guide is pushed pretty high and they shaved a bit off the table mounting too. Not sure what compromises were needed.

For that money, I would also look at the Griz G0555 models. It only can do 6" resaw but there is a riser block kit for not that much money. I like that the Griz has a tension release lever which makes blade changes a snap. The griz also comes with a fence.

Phil has very good points here. I too am quite surprised how they achieved 9" resaw with the ubiquitous 93.5" blade.

I have the Grizzly G0555LX and quite like it. It's done everything I need. The quick release tension lever is a design all 14" bandsaws should have. It works so easily, rotate less than half a turn and walk away.

The Ridgid shows no fence which for a quality one will run another $100. Sure you can clamp a piece of wood for a fence, but that is very poor for any production or time management in the shop. A good fence squared to the blade is a valuable accessory. The Grizzly has the 4" dust port at the bottom the lower wheel where all the dust will naturally fall to. Seems the best option would be to have both the lower location and under the lower guides for even better dust collection.

I heard the older Ridgid BS was underpowered and lacked some quality materials and longevity issues. Hopefully this is a worthy improvement.

In the Q and A's a Ridgid rep states that the 9" resaw in the specs is incorrect, it has 6.25 resaw capability, and no riser block is available. Also no fence.

Well, that makes more sense. Now, it looks more like just another Taiwanese delta clone. At that point the question becomes is it a competent saw? That's still a decent price point if it does the job. It would be interesting to see how it compares with the Harbor Freight 14" BS. Personally, I don't use a fence on my BS very much but others might place more value on it. I think the Griz 14" is a better bet even though the price point is somewhat higher. The 555 series gets good marks. I do use the blade tension release lever a lot because I change blades fairly often. Anything that speeds that up (including easy guide/thrust bearing adjust) is a winning feature.

I'd like to see how they propose getting a 3/4" blade working correctly on that saw.

Blog Entries
    I bought the old model at the ridiculous marked-down price of $99. I put a segmented belt to stop vibration, and also mounted a plywood top to the stand for the same reason. It's okay for small curved cuts, but it will not resaw worth a darn. The new one has a bigger motor, and it seems they addressed the flimsy stand issue. It seems a bit pricey, but worth a try.

For a $50 premium, you can still get the older version: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bar/4770458140.html (not mine!)
    Perhaps related, marijuana is now legal in Washington state.

BTW, +1 on Malcolm's comments about older saw.

Quote Originally Posted by John Donhowe View Post
    For a $50 premium, you can still get the older version: http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/bar/4770458140.html (not mine!)
    Perhaps related, marijuana is now legal in Washington state.

BTW, +1 on Malcolm's comments about older saw.
    mighty proud of it, ain't he? I think that delusion is more a Craigs List thing than the druggies in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Massingale View Post
    In the Q and A's a Ridgid rep states that the 9" resaw in the specs is incorrect, it has 6.25 resaw capability, and no riser block is available. Also no fence.
    That's a big mistake.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have had bad luck with the motors Rigid uses. Had two 13" planers motors and a tablesaw motor die within 6 months of use on the job. I'm not sure if this would translate to their bandsaw motor. Just my experience with the brand.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Saw&highlight=

Had mine for a while now, mods above on the link.

I have not used a riser, so I have no input for that.

As stated in the thread it looks to be a Steel City 50126SC

31tnwAMtCiL.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-04-2014 at 5:53 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum which violates the TOSs

Quote Originally Posted by Bill A Hagen;

As stated in the thread it looks to be a [COLOR=#444444
    Steel City 50126SC

[/COLOR]31tnwAMtCiL.jpg
    Nope, the Steel City has gray paint.

Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-04-2014 at 5:54 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum in quote

If you want my opinion... (so many don't: my wife, my sister, my daughter, my son-in-law, my grand daughter...) go for the Powermatic PWBS14-CS. It is your "basic" 14" band-saw... from Powermatic. It comes with the Carter tension release system installed, Carter guides, and a lamp. It cam be fitted with a riser block if you desire. I didn't get one, but that is only because I didn't - and still don't - have any expectation of having to work with stuff that thick. If I do I'll sponge off a friend who has access to much bigger equipment.

It is expensive, but Louis Iturra gave it a double thumbs up.