Thread: "Export Quality" Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa

"Export Quality" Satya Sai Baba Nag Champa

OK, just what exactly does "export quality" mean on my box of incense? Does that mean I'm getting the really good stuff because India would hate to represent itself poorly to the rest of the world, or does it mean I'm getting the cheap junk that they wouldn't dare sell to the locals?

I have no idea. max

If I had to take a wild guess, it would mean something cosmetic about how the incense is either put together or how it's presented. Something that increases the price to us so it looks how we want it to, but something an Indian wouldn't care about or want to pay for.

It's how they get rid of that pesky radioactive waste. They export in products to consumers in other countries.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

In fact, I'd bet it has more to do with external impressions of Indian quality than domestic impressions. 'Export quality' implies to you that it's somehow better than the normal offering.

I would think it has to do with how its treated for insects and stuff and that it has met the import requirements like labeling, lead content and such
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Package labeling has little to do with reality, and lots to do with marketing.

I wonder if my Tibetan incense is of inferior quality. All it says on the packaging is“For External Use Only”.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

John
    Just some light reading for you. http://commerce.nic.in/export_quality_control.htm

Blog Entries
    OK, just what exactly does "export quality" mean on my box of incense?
    Before Thomas put up a link to a site that explains the meaning, my comment was it would mean about the same as "heavy duty" on the outside of the box of shop shelving that collapses under the weight of a basket ball.

In other words, like so many words on product packaging, absolutely nothing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    John
    Just some light reading for you. http://commerce.nic.in/export_quality_control.htm
    Well, that's interesting. I guess it just means they maybe jumped through some bureaucratic hoops to be able to export these particular ones, and perhaps just skip it for the stuff that's sold domestically.

Totally off-track but I worked at this neighborhood tropical fish store during college and we burned nag champa pretty much non-stop, to overcome the funk of that dank, humid fish room. My co-worker, the incense guy, also smoked these tiny Indian cigarettes called "beedies", which do not smell quite like a tobacco cigarette and look more like a joint (yes, he smoked inside, in the presence of customers, because the owner of the store was the biggest stoner of any of them and smoked cigarettes right there in front of customers, as well...). We would receive customer complaints every so often from people who tought he was smoking a joint right in front of them.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Back in the "long ago times" we burned incense to mask the odor of, well...... something else that we were burning.

Truth be told, I mostly burn it in my shop, though some in the house too. I find it relaxes me when I'm working.