Thread: Switching from existing workbench to dedicated woodcarving bench

Switching from existing workbench to dedicated woodcarving bench

I currently have a bench that is affixed to the supports for the stairway in my basement. It has been my wood carving station to this point with rotary tools and lights and tool racks for my gouges and knives etc etc.

However I have been thinking that it might make sense to go ahead and get a workbench from Rockler or one of the other old standbys for us woodworkers and move the woodcarving activity to that. I would likely get a set of those lever activated casters that allow you to move when you want to and stay put when you want to do that....probably would get something around 60" long, vices etc although I use a Jerry-Rig to hold carving workpieces.

I have gotten away with using the bench that is hard fixed to the basement to this point but can't help but think that I am missing out on some functionality and versatility that I would have if I had a woodworking bench, saying nothing for freeing up the fixed bench that is down there now for other activities.

Thinking that others have likely found themselves in the same place....started with a bench that was already fixed into their basements and then at some point decided to or maybe even decided not to get a dedicated woodworking bench for their woodcarving. So I thought I would ask for opinions from folks that have come to that crossroad ahead of me and either decided to stay with the bench that was already in their basement or maybe garage or decided to go ahead and get a dedicated woodworking bench. How did it go if you decided to make the switch? For those that did not, what prompted you to stay the course so to speak.....not enough value for the buck.....something else?

Please tell us what benefits you expect from such a move. It sounds like you have a dedicated space and bench already, so what extras come with a switch?

I don't have much else to offer or suggest since it sounds like your needs exceed mine at the moment; my limited carving happens fine at my regular workbench.

For a lot of carving, you want a workstation that's higher than a regular bench. I have a box I made that I clamp to my bench to raise my work up to a comfortable level. I don't always use it, but it's nice to have. I do mostly relief carving for furniture and not carving in the round, so you're situation may be different.

But in any case, I don't see the need for a new bench.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.