Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Parallel Clamp Quality

Jet Parallel Clamp Quality

I just bought some Jet clamps online, the Black Friday half price sale.

I haven`t bought any clamps in several years, so I was expecting the same clamps as the older ones I bought years ago...

Very dissapointed in the quality of these clamps, the threaded parts look like el cheapo pot metal, and the threads are the ugliest I have ever seen.

I`m glad I didn`t pay full price for these things, and I`m glad I already own several dozen clamps, if this is the quality that is out there now...

I just got mine today too. I didn't do a total side by side to my other Jets, but they look the same. I got a chance to use them today too and they worked well, but I think just a bit sticky just bc they're brand new.
    I got mine from Acme Tool and am happy. No Affiliation yada yada.

Blog Entries
    Don't look now but, Jet clamps aren't the only thing not made as well as it used to be.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Don't look now but, Jet clamps aren't the only thing not made as well as it used to be.

That's very true. Unfortunately, they have gone way up in price at the same time.

I wish none of these big third world clamps had been developed, they sucked the market away from the clamps that are nice to use - the original german bessey k body.

Purchased 4 of the 40" variety.
    The release triggers seem to be an issue. They don't glide well at the moment. Hopefully they'll break in or can be adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The "lowest-bid" mentality couple with planned obsolescence is killing manufacturing worldwide.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I had some with bad triggers from last years black friday. I was able to get replacements, but it took till spring to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    The "lowest-bid" mentality couple with planned obsolescence is killing manufacturing worldwide.
    It`s not killing manufacturing, manufacturing is booming, but much of it is like these clamps, low tech items made at rock bottom price and quality, but the parent company doesn`t cut the price when he ships manufacturing to these places, does he? Oh well, rant over.

I really did like those old Jet clamps too...

Fooled me once...

Never again will I buy any clamps sight unseen.

I got mine several years ago. For the release "trigger" to work properly, you need to squeeze it and then pull up a bit. Then, it will slide well. I received mine for free because I bought a couple of machines. Honestly, I think mine are pretty decent. Not really quite as nice as Besseys, but I have to say that as far as functionality, the Jets may actually be the best I've used, including Bessey. I think Bessey has since revamped their clamps, so maybe they're top dog, now.

If you don't like them, I'll take them! I have none yet

Jet Clamp Thread Pics

Old on left.old1.jpgnew3.jpg

Mine appear to be old style. When did you buy yours?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Mine appear to be old style. When did you buy yours?
    The clamp on the left is about 5 years old, the clamp on the right arrived at my front porch on Dec 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Grote View Post
    The clamp on the left is about 5 years old, the clamp on the right arrived at my front porch on Dec 2.
    Sounds about right. Mine are just about 6 or 7 years old, or so. Even the quality of the casting has gone down the tubes. I wonder when they made the change? I really just don't get it. Those stupid clamps where one of the last things I could recommend from Jet. That's fine. For every piece of junk some older, established company makes, there's someone else that's filling the void with quality tools. Sanders, bandsaws, routers, table saws, clamps. You name it.

Except a decent woodworking drill press, with a proper split head and real quill lock. Still, no one has stepped up here, that I know of, anyhow.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-03-2014 at 9:57 PM.

I got some last year during their sale, but normally only buy bessey clamps. I really dislike the Jet's that I received. They don't slide smooth and often stick. I decided to not buy any this year and from the looks, i'm glad I didn't. I will be sticking with Bessey clamps.