Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock rabbet joint by hand?

Lock rabbet joint by hand?

In the other thread Jim mentioned how he will do lock rabbet joint by hand when doing 20 drawers.
    I found this picture on web for the lock rabbet.
    How would one grove the endgrain for the front by hand? I could see cutting it then chiseling, but that would be rather slow, wouldn't it?

If they're close to the edge and you mark them with a knife on the outside line, you can cut them with a plow plane - esp. if you have one of the plows with a nicker. That's how I do mine when I repair a kitchen drawer. my drawer sides are poplar, 1/2" wide, and the lock rabbet is 1/2 of their width and square. That equates to a finger on the outside of the dado that's only about 1/8th thick, so they have to be made with some care so as not to blow the grain off of the end (which also could occur if you're removing waste with a chisel).

I could see working for the sides, but how about the front, where the grove is sort of like a bridle joint with one side shorter? Would you grove the end grain with the plow plane?

Saw a rabbet and then saw and chisel (just guessing, I haven't had to cut that part of the joint, just the mating sides). I might even be inclined to saw both outside lines and then down the middle again (or two more times) since the work is across endgrain and the less wood left, the easier it will be.

Thanks. That makes sense. Would be tedious though and not easy to fit, probably no faster then dovetailing, and my dovetails finally fit ok without much fidling. Just finished secret rabbet dovetail drawer and it was surprisingly easy in pine.

If you have a TS, it's obviously a fast joint to cut. I don't love the idea of doing a router in the end of the drawer there, though I guess a slotting bit would work well. I wouldn't have ever thought about doing parts of it with hand tools if I didn't have broken drawers.

Here's what has me thinking about the process.

I've got an old Clifton multiplane that might manage this.

I would like to have the HNT Gordon version, but it's more money than
    I want to spend, at the moment.

It gets interesting about 6:00 into the video.

Remember, it's done with a 1/4" dado plane - nothing else.
    10:27 to see what the joint should resemble, if I'm lucky.

Last edited by Jim Matthews; 12-03-2014 at 7:30 PM.

That was neat. Pricey plane though.

Too much money, for a specialty plane.

It's the side nickers that make it cut straight.
    My multiplane only has one spur.

If it works, I'm money ahead.

If it doesn't work - I may consider using a router plane for the long grain grooves.

There is a SUPERB looking moseley dado plane on peebay from the UK right now, in 1/4 inch size. I don't know what's ideal for this operation since my drawers were made by machine and had tiny lock rabbetrs.

That UK dado is about 70 bucks, though, and thanks to the royal mail money extraction system, it'd be about 95 total to get it here.

Couldn't a guy make one of your down and dirty planes with a nicker? Or score/knife a shoulder?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-step-by-step
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

You could. and you don't really need a depth stop if you have a brain and a mark. (no depth stop would mean no burnishing/marking on the sides of the dado to be planed out if the surface shows).

Old dado planes are sort of a pain to refurbish because the front and the back wooden sole are never linear in the later (more common planes). I think I have a quarter dado already, and though I love to make planes, I don't have great interest in making plow planes or dados because of the amount of work involved in cutting two irons from stock, two wedges, building in a depth stop, even if it were a simple wedge piece of wood that could be set...

For $90, i'm inclined to let someone else make that plane if it's perfect and fresh. Of course, careful watching for an old bench plane would negate the need to make those, too, but the little grooving planes like the type in that thread is quick and cheap to build and very useful....that would be something any reasonable person could build.

I *hope* someone buys that plane, because a 1/4" dado plane would be very useful on anything that was either 1/4" or more than twice 1/4". I wouldn't advocate such extravagance in a plane that was easier to make.

Man, I have an eighth inch dado plane that I lucked into for a song and actually got working and I love, but something in a more useable size like that 1/4 is tempting. I've had really good luck with UK sellers, can't remember if I've bought from that one before.

My dado plane (and my wooden, moving filletster) make cross grain work so much less tedious, and heck of quicker. The filletster in particular, I can't imagine living without.

Well, I bought the plane that David mentioned. Will report back when I get it in a week or two. Looked nice in the images.

That saves me from getting yelled at, I guess. It looked like a NICE plane with no wear on it and really straight and clean, though...I'm kind of sad I didn't buy it, too