Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So What Species Of Wood Is This?

So What Species Of Wood Is This?

Anybody know what this is? Sure is pretty, but I'm not sure what it is. Thought is was redwood, but that heather gray sapwood threw me.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spruce or pine? More likely moldy spruce

Yep, I've got some of that moldy spruce at my place too!

Wow! May be moldy, but sure is a pretty gray color.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Wow! May be moldy, but sure is a pretty gray color.
    True! It's not ugly at all. And that mold will not progress if you keep the wood dry. I've never found the wood to be problematic from a strength perspective. I just use it as construction lumber.

So is spruce commonly found in lumber yards? Is it a soft wood? How is it normally sold? I mean, 2x4s, fence stock, etc?

Looks like spruce to me, too. Common in 2x construction lumber, especially in 2x4 and 2x6.

Blog Entries
    It looks like they processed a tree that was dead for a while before they cut it down. I wouldn't use it in a load bearing wall.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I guess I'm out-numbered by the spruce vote, but it looks like "blue-stain pine" to me--the "blue stain" being a result of a fungus carried by a pine beetle.

+1 on blue stain pine. Doesn't affect the wood at all except for the color.

That knot looks like pine to me. The blue is common from fungus, didn't know it was from a beetle.

-Brian

That's just normal old construction lumber SPF spruce.

It is possible that it is lodgepole pine, but the latewood bands look mighty small for pine. Either way, it is SPF lumber (Spruce-Pine-Fir).

This is no riddle, but if it helps, it's from a pallet. I just happens to be so attractive that I want to be able to purchase and dimension it for some finer projects. I'm a big fan of natural color woods and this red/gray combo is really cool.

Danny is correct - it is in the SPF - Spruce-Pine-Fir - species family, or something similar.

And - yes - that looks like the blue stain I have seen. Caused by the mountain pine beetle, rocky mtns, Mexico to Canada. Kills the trees. There was [is still?] a big problem with it maybe 8 - 10 years ago; big flood of "beetle kill" lumber onto the market, as they went into forests generally off-limits to logging and cut all the infected trees they could find, drug them out and turned them into lumber.

SPF is a group of specific species that exhibit the same characteristics in terms of structural/strength. SPF is what, in many parts of the country, is used for framing lumber. Others are DF, HF, ??. Nothing special - just your garden variety softwood.

I don't know them as well as the SYP - Southern Yellow Pine group: Longleaf, shortleaf, slash, and loblolly. But, again, the species in that group have the same structural characteristics. And - forestry experts have told me that once you turn them into lumber, nobody can differentiate between the 4.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.