Thread: New Vega Pro 50 Fence

New Vega Pro 50 Fence

My stock Unisaw fence, circa 1950 is plenty robust, but the embossed scale in the front rail is not accurate and not even off by a consistent amount, so I had to measure - bump - measure whenever a cut had to be perfect. I finally couldn't take it any longer, so I looked at aftermarket alternatives. Based partially on some very positive feedback here at SMC, I decided to get a Vega Pro 50. I think I paid $265 at Amazon, with free shipping. Unpacked and installed it today. I have two table saws side by side, the Unisaw on the left bolted to a Sears 10" on the right, with a router table in place of the right hand extension table on the Sears. The 50" Vega fence extends nicely across both saws and the router table.

Installation was pretty straight forward. The fence is real beast, and the rails are plenty robust as well. Those three items are well made and finished, although there were a few burrs where the head of the fence had been machined. The mounting brackets and other auxilliary parts do their intended job well, but are pretty crudely made and some are plain unpainted steel. I guess that's what you use to keep costs down.

The fence fit my Unisaw well, with one exception. The bolts supplied for the rear rail did not fit the threaded holes on the saw. What was supplied were bolts with washers and nuts, but there's no way I could install those nuts inside the saw top. There is just no way to get them in there without taking off the top and that's not something I was going to do. A quick trip to the hardware store to buy bolts that threaded into the saw table solved the problem, but I'm surprised that Vega advertises the fence as fitting a Unisaw but doesn't include the correct bolts for it. Not a big deal, but a small one nevertheless. Also, the rear rail was not machined to be able to use the supplied lift brackets like you do with the front brackets. Why supply the brackets? That resulted in the rail being too low for the reach of the glide button supplied on the bottom of the fence. I put a washer under the button and all was well but, again, if the system is advertised as being a direct fit on a Unisaw should it fit straight out of the box? Maybe it's due to age of my Unisaw, and the rail would be the correct height on a newer model with a different fence system.

It was easy to adjust the fence parallel to the miter slot, and the four bolts that hold the fence to the head are really robust. My measurements with a dial gage showed the fence was straight with less than 0.002" deviation over the 27" of my saw top. Adjusting the elevation of the front rail was easy with the jack screws on the mounting brackets. Similarly, adjusting the front rail to zero the fence with the saw blade was simple. With those adjustments done, the fence was ready to use.

The fence slides smoothly on the rails and locks down with minimal force. It is very stiff - I couldn't see any lateral deflection when I pushed on it sideways. The micro-adjust feature works very well - but the fence slides so smoothly I doubt I'll need to use it much. I made a few cuts and found the work to slide very easily along the annodized fence. And I think I am going to really like it's 42" length, at least with sheet goods.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Vega fence. The key components are well made and finished, robust, and work well together. The installation directions are adequate and easy to follow. The mounting parts however, while functioning well, detracts somewhat from the overall image of the product.

John -

Good write up. I bought the 40" pro a few months ago and put in on my 80's Craftsman saw...WOW!!! Bolted right up and works like a champ.

As far as the micro guide goes...yeah, it does slide easy, but if you think you won't use it much...you're in for a suprise. I'm just a hobbyist, but I use it a lot to sneak up on cuts or get exact cuts from pieces I've already cut and moved the fence then realized I need that cut again.

Have fun with it!!!

If some parts look wrong contact the boys at Vega. They are awesome. They are in Decatur IL about 40 miles from me. I toured their factory and its crazy old skool! They will make it right.

Also you should see the Miter gauge they make. OMG is it awesome!! Have them make a deal on one of them for you for shipping out unfinished steel! Its like the Northfield of Miter gauges!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have the 50" pro on my PM71 and I love it too. Fact is I tried to order mine off Amazon and they said that they did not have any and did not know when they would get a new shipment in. I called Vega and talked to a guy, wish I could remember his name, he said he had just sent a shipment to Amazon but would sell one to me for the same price. He asked what kind of saw I had and I replied a Powermatic 71. He asked how deep the top of the saw was and at the time it was at an auto dealership getting bead blasted. I told him this and he said well, I will give you the 50" pro for the same price as the standard 50". I said thank you very much and I told him that I would recommend them to anyone. True service if you ask me and I would get one if you are in need of a good fence.

I've used one and owned one for a while, and always liked the Vega. Good to hear you're happy with it. Is it still made in the USA?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Enjoy your new fence. After you use it for a short while you will pat your self on the back for making the right choice.

I bought my Vega 50" fence back in the late 80"s. It is now on it's third saw and still going strong. As to the micro adjuster, I use it all the time. Much more accurate than the "bump" method.

Al

Yes, the Vega is still "Proudly made in the USA", as it says on the box and the fence insert. That was one of the reasons I chose it. Vega is an example that American companies can and (some) do make high quality products here in the US at a very competitive price.

You guys were right about the micro adjuster. In using the fence today, I found it to be a very sweet feature for sneaking up on critical dimensions. I'm like-n it.

I am on my second 40" Pro originally purchased in the mid-80's and sold with the saw during a move. I purchased my second on last year for my Sears "Zip Code" hybrid. I was unhappy with the overall fit and finsh compared to the first. There was no problem getting the entire fence replaced after talking to the owner, he then threw in a set of "Finger Saver" for the hassle. Best fence I've ever used.

A slightly off-topic question. I have the same fence on my Delta TS.
    When I lock down the fence, the far end moves a bit to the left side.
    What is this behavior called? Is it normal? How do I get rid of it?

Thi

Quote Originally Posted by Thi X. Nguyen View Post
    A slightly off-topic question. I have the same fence on my Delta TS.
    When I lock down the fence, the far end moves a bit to the left side.
    What is this behavior called? Is it normal? How do I get rid of it?

Thi
    I noticed the same thing, and found that it's because the head of the fence has a little bit of slop as it sits on the front rail. It happens when you push the head into the saw as you slide the fence, but it does not happen if you pull on the head as you slide the fence, at least on mine. Also, if you lock the fence, then release it and use the fine adjust wheel it does not happen.

11. Thanks John. Congratulation on your new fence.

I just picked up a VEGA pro 50 from Amazon, how is the installation process ?

Mike,
    Best to start a new thread I think as this one is over 3 years old.
    I had a Vega fence and had to drill and tap a couple holes, which is easy in cast iron. It's a great fence btw.